ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (169/192) > >>

J-Mac:
I'm not sure what the ribbon has to do with note-taking, but it is one of the most annoying inventions ever. For one thing, there's nothing ribbony about it. One dictionary definition is "notion consisting of a narrow strip of fine material used for trimming." The MS ribbon is hardly narrow; it takes up a practically a third of the screen.
-longrun (May 16, 2012, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cause someone mentioned a favorite program being better now because of the ability to customize its ribbon... Surely you saw that?

Has the opposite affect on me!

Jim

Ath:
The MS ribbon is hardly narrow; it takes up a practically a third of the screen.
-longrun (May 16, 2012, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
You have tried the standard Ribbon-minimize/hide feature? Double-clicking one of the tabs enables/disables that state.

longrun:

Cause someone mentioned a favorite program being better now because of the ability to customize its ribbon... Surely you saw that?
-J-Mac (May 17, 2012, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

What I saw was that Excel 2010 now had that ability, so I wasn't sure how that pertained to note-taking. Maybe I missed something.

longrun:

You have tried the standard Ribbon-minimize/hide feature? Double-clicking one of the tabs enables/disables that state.
-Ath (May 17, 2012, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, but I still find the ribbon cluttered, ugly, and less efficient than menus. On the rare occasions I use MS Office I use a utility that restores the old-style menu. This is one of those things on which reasonable people just disagree.

TaoPhoenix:

-J-Mac (May 17, 2012, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

What I saw was that Excel 2010 now had that ability, so I wasn't sure how that pertained to note-taking. Maybe I missed something.
-longrun (May 17, 2012, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I've mentioned it about Excel 2010 now too. Meanwhile, depending on "what a note is", if you don't need the tree concept, then Excel is stunning for other kinds of notes - its very "chartiness" lets you make endless little tables of info, but now with the new Customizable Ribbon all the excruciating top-down misery of 2007's ribbon goes away, and scary-to-me, some unseen pain of the old menus does too. So sometimes speed is a feature in note taking, and with a custom ribbon, on certain types of notes you can blaze like Ghostrider through your information because of all of Excel's Info-Shuffling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version