ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (46/192) > >>

mouser:
vadim - i think you are definitely right - and i think that eventually this thread is moving in that direction.
it's probably just a matter of first trying to figure out and organize such issues - as you probably agree i don't think anyone yet knows how to formulate a perfect list of test cases or exact features.. but this thread is doing a great job of trying to figure out such a thing, and i hope eventually the outcome is a kind of summary of the main issues and features that would make a perfect note taking program..

rjbull:
superboyac,

I see the screenshot of MyBase on their Web site contains lots of graphics, but I recall seeing a comment on the Keynote site to the effect that RTF is a bad format for graphics because it has to be read line by line, so is slow.  What's your experience of that?

Does MyBase have good Boolean searching, and is it indexed?  Did they fix the searching bugs now that the 5 beta seems to have turned into a full release?

Thanks in advance...

urlwolf:
Onfolio by ISI (the guys behind the destruction of endNote from v.7 onwards) has a similar application, onFolio, reviewed here:
http://informationr.net/ir/reviews/sofrev21/sofrev21.html

nevf:
Onfolio by ISI (the guys behind the destruction of endNote from v.7 onwards) has a similar application, onFolio, reviewed here:
http://informationr.net/ir/reviews/sofrev21/sofrev21.html
-urlwolf (May 31, 2006, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

OnFolio was bought out by Microsoft a few months back and has changed somewhat, leaving most if not all Onfolio users pretty unhappy. A number have already switched to Surfulater and others are contemplating it. See: http://www.onfolio.com/support/forums/categories.cfm?catid=10

superboyac:
superboyac,

I see the screenshot of MyBase on their Web site contains lots of graphics, but I recall seeing a comment on the Keynote site to the effect that RTF is a bad format for graphics because it has to be read line by line, so is slow.  What's your experience of that?

Does MyBase have good Boolean searching, and is it indexed?  Did they fix the searching bugs now that the 5 beta seems to have turned into a full release?

Thanks in advance...

-rjbull (May 28, 2006, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry rjbull, I didn't notice your question earlier.  I actually don't know too much about what you're asking, since I don't use pictures in my notes that much (only one note, I think uses, pictures!).  I'll give it a shot later and tell you what I think about its speed.

Actually, I don't think Mybase allows inserting pictures in the actual note itself unless it is a .bmp.  What you can do is attach a picture file, and when you click on the attachment, it will be displayed in the web-viewer tab (which is on each note).  And Mybase uses IE as it's web-viewing engine, so take that for what it's worth.  I find that web content (actual web pages, pictures, basically, anything in the web tab) has a little delay associated with it.  I'm assuming this has something with invoking the IE engine.

Personally, as far as working with web content, EverNote does it the best of all the programs I've tried, by far.  Surfulater does it well also, but I always have had problems with pictures on webpages with Surfulater.  For just taking snapshots of webpages, use Evernote.  For more complex referencing and linking and organizing of captured webpages, use Surfulater.  The Scrapbook plugin for Firefox is also good for simple needs, it works like regular bookmarks, but the webpage is static according to when it was captured.

Someone mentioned before that for notetaking, it is wise to stick to text as much as possible, instead of embedding webpages and pictures, etc.  The resulting database file will be huge, otherwise.  I stick to this philosophy, and this is what I had in mind when discussing the issues in this thread.  Now, I know that in this day and age, having multimedia content is somewhat essential, but I feel the smarter way to deal with this is with attachments linking to files instead of embedding the content in the database.  It's probably why I'm the only person here that still kind of has hopes for a program like Zoot, where, while it's totally unattractive and dysfunctional at the moment, has a lot of great functions for strictly text based notetaking.

Anyway, I digress.  The answer to your question is, yes, I feel Mybase is a little slow in handling pictures.  But it's not due to rtf, because it doesn't support anything besides bmp.  It's because it invokes IE for web content.  Evernote and Surfulater are a little fast in this category.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version