ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (14/192) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Hey pmowbray... are you the same pmowbray from the Tranglos (Keynote) forums?-kfitting (March 06, 2006, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am!  :)

If so, welcome aboard-kfitting (March 06, 2006, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!

I'm kf2 from over there... just remembered the name from the thread about KN2 "database-type" development.-kfitting (March 06, 2006, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought I remembered the name  ;)

Those were the days :)

I've been in and out here for a wee while but just looking, I think I'm starting to get serious now...

Perry

nevf:
Surfulater works this way. There is only ever one physical instance of a 'note', but it can be in as many tree folders as you want.

Surfulater also lets you link related 'notes' together so you build a web of related information. This is very useful.
-nevf (February 28, 2006, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's pretty good: Though I'd like drag&drop enabled on this so that you could simply drag one article on top of another and it would be added to the "See Also" section. That would make it very fast to link your articles together.
-pmowbray (March 06, 2006, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Perry,
I think that would be quite confusing as some folks would think the dropped article would be added as a child of the target article.

You can drag an article from the tree and drop it on the 'See Also' field in the content window. You can also use Copy (anywhere) and Paste as reciprocal 'See Also' links,  in the tree and content window.

I don't see a tight connection between the hierarchical tree and tags (labels, keywords whatever).

Tags are separate organizational method which can be used in a variety of ways. For example you get a list of all tags and selecting one shows all notes which include that tag. Tags could also be used in conjunction with filtered tree views. In this mode the tree would only include notes that included a certain tag or tags. With a good implementation of tags some folks might not even use the tree.

--- End quote ---

In my mind the most flexible method of implementing this would be a FolderType of TagFilter where you could add your tags and/or !tags to the folder query definition and the articles would sort themselves as required.

Then you could have any number of TagFilter folders that would sort your information for you!

Now to add automatic tagging based on content and the display of your information gets very dynamic. Although I'd always want to be able to turn on my Tree View if I wanted  ;)...

Regs,
Perry

--- End quote ---

I haven't locked down the implementation details for Filters yet and will definitely take your ideas on board. The normal Tree view will always be available.

I've written about automatic content classification somewhere, probably in the Surfulater Customer Forums.

tonyp:
Just to add a few of my own semi-on-semi-off-topic musings to this random cluster of a thread...

I was a big Keynote user, but eventually the shortcomings got to me.  I tried setting up MediaWiki as a genreal note taking database, but that proved somewhat cumbersome.  I've since coded up my own little hierarchal type solution in PHP which although doesn't do a heck of a lot, does what I need.  For one thing, it automatically looks for relationships between notes based on keywords and content, like a wiki.  That to me is a big time saver, especially for brainstorming.

For organizing images and visual information, I've delegated that task to Picasa2.  Simply make some labels or collections and you're good to go.  And for webpages, nothing beats the ScrapBook extension for Firefox in my view.  Works like bookmarks, except saved locally and completely editable.  Now supports sticky notes and a dropdown bookmark like list from the toolbar menu.  Recently won the 'Most Useful Upgraded Extension' prize in the Extend Firefox Contest.

superboyac:
I never knew about Scrapbook, it's awesome!  The only problem now is what I mentioned before about using several programs to collect information, because each does something a little differently.  Now, I am usually totally against all-in-one solutions, but in this category of software, namely information collection and organziation, I really feel that web collecting, note taking, and organizing all have to be tightly integrated into a powerful solution in order to take this to a new level.  There are a handful of programs out there who are attempting to tackle this problem, but none of them have really blossomed to a mature state yet.

rjbull:
it automatically looks for relationships between notes based on keywords and content
-tonyp (March 07, 2006, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

This thread has been veering somewhat closer to the idea of a database that stores full text, and indexes every word of it.  That's more or less what you get in the mighty commercial system Dialog that I access at work, but desktop-size versions are rare and expensive.

Dialog "Providing more than 15 terabytes of content from the world's most authoritative publishers, and the tools to search every bit of it with speed and precision."

Nobody seems to have mentioned UltraRecall yet; this is yet another tree-type notetaker, but I seem to remember hearing that it's fully indexed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version