ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (152/192) > >>

cianoc:
Sciagent:
I don't think there is a best note-taking application, as everyone has very different needs. I personally have several notetakers that I used for a variety of purposes:

Flashnote: Very simple, lightweight hierarchical notetaker that I use for temporary notes I am referring to for work I am currently doing. This might range from needing a place to write down notes from a phone call, a place to put fragments of computer code or just wanting a scratchpad. This isn't long term storage, just a scratchpad.

I'm currently experimenting with using either Cintanotes, or SQLNotes, as my inbox (GTD terminology) where I place stuff to be done/processed while doing other work. Cintanotes is excellent as a lightweight "dumping ground" for stuff to be processed later, on the other hand SQLnotes is where I'm increasingly putting the processed info in my PIM/GTD system.

For my thesis work I'm using ConnectedText, which is a personal wiki. This has the semantic data that you're asking for, and is an outstanding implementation of a personal wiki (Wikidpad isn't bad, but if you're planning on using it heavily, ConnectedText is well worth the money). I use this for processed notes; that is notes on things that I have thought about/read/critiqued. I use it as an ideas processor for my evolving thesis work.
I have a system where I place my bibliographic data into Zotero, pull out the Bibtex key for each item I write notes on and create a wiki page for it with relevant bibliographic data (title, abstract, tags and authors mainly). Then all my notes on that book/journal are linked to that item. Any other notes are placed in a notes bin, with relevant tags added. What's really useful about this, is once notes are in there I can very rapidly build meta-pages that pull in all notes that are tagged with 'phenomenology', and I can read through these, rewrite some of my notes and perhaps create a new note that summarises/critiques some of those ideas. Over time I use this to gradually evolve a paper, with all the relevant ideas in it as a 'first draft'. The really nice thing about this, is that it makes it trivial to keep track of where ideas came from, so you properly reference them in your papers. So I might create a note, that references five previous notes, and I can just follow the links back to those.

What I currently lack is a replacement for Evernote 2.2 (I lost my copy). I used to use this as a dumping ground for stuff that I found and didn't currently need/want to use, but thought might be useful one day. I guess SQLNotes might manage this

Finally, I'm currently experimenting with SQLNotes/InfoQube. This is a remarkably powerful program, that complements ConnectedText very well (neither does what the other does well, nor should they). The beta version has a LOT of rough edges, but it shows a lot of promise. Very steep learning curve, but for PIM needs it can almost certainly do what you want. I'm planning to use it for my GTD system, project planning, contacts info and (perhaps) as a replacement for Evernote's clipping capabilities.

tomos:
Cianoc,
would it not be possible to get another copy of Evernote out there somewhere ? (then again, if you want something in development)

I'm not in no way a heavy user of these apps but I'm using IQ/SQLNotes for work, web-clipping, and now am organising my notes from evernote in there too.
I'm still using Evernote as a "scratchpad"

superboyac:
Cianoc,
would it not be possible to get another copy of Evernote out there somewhere ? (then again, if you want something in development)

I'm not in no way a heavy user of these apps but I'm using IQ/SQLNotes for work, web-clipping, and now am organising my notes from evernote in there too.
I'm still using Evernote as a "scratchpad"
-tomos (April 11, 2009, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have a copy of it if anyone needs it.  Evernote gave it to me themselves when i asked.

rjbull:
Does anyone know anything about NoteFrog that's supposed to be on Bits du Jour special offer on 30th August?  I say "supposed to be" because it looks like the 31st Aug. UltraEdit Bundle deal is off, see this DC thread.

NoteFrog sounds a bit like AZZ Cardfile and the online demo seems to reinforce that.  One of the BdJ "Real User Say" comments compares it favourably to MemoryMate.  If anyone else remembers MemoryMate, that's a good recommendation.

NoteFrog reverts to a de-featured completely free edition if you don't register.  I suspect that too many good features have been removed, but haven't tried it.  At $19.95 it's pretty low-cost even before the BdJ deal.

NoteFrog looks big on tags, for those who like them, but doesn't appear to do tag clouds.

[edit]
I should have said, NoteFrog has the "live search" feature that many people like.  You can also "live search" within a "live search," as it were.  Make your first search, get your hits; make a second search, and the remaining results are the two searches ANDed.
[/edit]

EliCohen:
If you are looking for note taking software for studying have you considered Wiznotes?

Eli Cohen
Wiznotes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version