topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: General brainstorming for Note-taking software  (Read 846008 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: General brainstorming for Note-taking software
« Reply #700 on: June 26, 2008, 03:04 PM »
by the way if anyone has a nice alternative to onenote that runs under linux, I'm all ears.

I wonder what's so difficult to 'get right' in this type of application. But the fact that we have a record-settling thread on this very topic implies that it must be damn difficult.

Features I need:
good outliner (e.g., keep tabs indentation)
No proprietary format
image support
keep format when copying from the web
Fast search

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #701 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Urlwolf

Wikidpad is for you. The only thing that would be problem is web clips. This is doable because Wikidpad offers edit and preview modes you cannot see html pages in  edit mode but in preview page you can see the html is you can copy paste the html of the selected web clip. Probably there is a firefox extension for that.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2008, 04:56 AM »
yes, Wikidpad looks good.
Nowhere near the functionality of oneNote, but it'd suffice.

The problem is to get all the stuff I have in oneNote out of there(!). Vendor-lockin at its best.

Well, opera doesn't know how to cut and paste html, believe it or not. So that's bad... but I have the same problem with onenote.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2008, 05:33 AM »
correction: wikipad sucks on linux. Lots of bugs.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2008, 06:09 AM »
Have you considered basket? I've not tried it myself, but its on my list of options to look at for when I am spending more time in Linux?

Though, looking at the website, it doesn't look as if it clips webpages directly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:33 AM by Dormouse »

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #705 on: June 27, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Try also NoteCase (free version) and NoteCase Pro (shareware). Both work on Windows and Linux.

http://notecase.sourceforge.net/

http://www.virtual-sky.com/

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #706 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00 PM »
For general notetaking software I have been using Treepad Business edition for a few years. I use it for business and personal use. It has a nice function that will let you export your notes or data to a web page, I have found this particularly useful for Intranet help pages.

You can check the program out at www.treepad.com. There is a freeware version, but the purchase version has much more functionality. It is a hierarchical tree based notepad or freeform database. It handles tables and pictures as well as text. It does not have any web capture capability that I know of.

I just wanted to throw this out there as I did not see it on the listing.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #707 on: July 12, 2008, 02:07 PM »
i'm still seeking a replacement of onenote for linux :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #708 on: July 22, 2008, 05:05 PM »
I guess readers of this thread allready know about Incollector,
- mentioned today by freewaregenius' samer.

http://www.incollector.devnull.pl/
http://www.freewareg...ructure-information/

incollector: a desktop note-taking app that uses tags to structure information

Posted July 22, 2008

Description: Incollector is a freeware note-taking program that runs in the background and offers simple notes on demand from the system tray. It uses user-defined tags and saved searches to structure information rather than a traditional folder/category hierarchical structure.
incollector.gif
Wish list:

* Any or all of the items mentioned in “what it does not offer” above would be good.
    * The ability to define the location of the saved notes file on the hard drive.
    * Portability; although I imagine that might be difficult to achieve with an app that requires the .NET Framework.

The verdict: there aren’t many free non-hierarchical, tag-based desktop-note taking programs out there, which is what makes Incollector so interesting. You will appreciate Incollector if you are (a) not looking for a lot of bells and whistles necessarily, but (b) are interested in a good, straightforward desktop note taking program with the ability to structure information based on your own user-defined tags. A very nice program overall.

Version Tested: 1.1

Compatibility: Windows, Linux; no info on Vista.
Requires .NET 2.0 Framework for the Windows version,
requires Mono and GTK-Sharp to work on Linux.

Source code is available
The installer for Windows includes gtk+/gtk#/mono libraries and Industrial gtk+ theme.

incoltor.gif
http://www.incollector.devnull.pl/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:16 PM by Curt »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #709 on: July 22, 2008, 07:26 PM »
It looks like keynote has just got an update from another developer.

"Added new features to Marek's KeyNote: checkboxes on children of selected nodes, hidden nodes, alarms on nodes."

https://sourceforge....cts/keynote-newfeat/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:31 PM by kartal »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #710 on: July 27, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Related to the subject of thi mega thread, there's super list of Outliners announced there

via the comments:-
PPLandry (dc member/author of SQLNotes) has put
this list in an online spreadsheet, with read/write access to all, as in this one where I’ve imported the original list:

http://www.editgrid....ry/List_of_Outliners

Anybody can add/edit the info, sort, etc
- (see attachment in previous post)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:17 PM by Armando »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #711 on: July 27, 2008, 06:10 PM »
urlwolf, as you wrote earlier Office 2007 can now run via Wine. Here's a thread specifically on Onenote 2007 under Wine in Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums....wthread.php?t=744743 . The core seems ok, but some features do not work. I haven't tried it yet myself, but plan to do so sometime. If it runs well enough, and especially if there are no problems saving/opening Onenote content across the "OS border", then I will probably commit to Onenote as my primary notetaking tool. If you or anyone else here has by now tried it then please post your impressions here.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #712 on: July 27, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Related to the subject of thi mega thread, there's super list of Outliners announced there

Yowsers!!  Now that is a list!!  Thanks Pierre, now I know where to go to for a reference.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #713 on: July 27, 2008, 07:01 PM »

Yowsers!!  Now that is a list!!  Thanks Pierre, now I know where to go to for a reference.

Actually I have very little merit. The list was published by Chris Murtland here: http://www.outliners.../0/list-of-outliners. My only merit was to put this list on an online spreadsheet so all users can add/edit/sort, etc this list
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #714 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Actually I have very little merit.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #715 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20 AM »
PS kidding aside, that IS and AWESOME list, Pierre  :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #716 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25 AM »
OK, who wants to do an exhaustive roundup of that list?  (not me!)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #717 on: July 28, 2008, 10:43 AM »
I'll do it this afternoon during my coffee break.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #718 on: July 28, 2008, 04:37 PM »

;D [except I'd nearly believe you could Armando] ;D
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #719 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44 PM »

;D [except I'd nearly believe you could Armando] ;D
Haha!  Yeah, I know.  Don't do it Armando!  I don't want to be responsible for a heart attack.

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #720 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Hi folks,

Just a quick note to share my experience... I've been looking for the perfect outliner/note-taking app for a long time, I've tried many of them and I've never been satisfied up to the point where I consider writing my own! During this quest I've tried SQLNotes several times, never being able to overcome the initial learning curve.

Today I decided to take some time to try it again (after reading posts from well-respected fellows here), this is an incredibly flexible program! I'm sharing this for those of reading these lines who, like me, never invested enouch time. Thanks Pierre-Paul for this really great application! I'm really excited at the perspective of digging even more all the features!
Merci Pierre-Paul!

Cheers  /jerome

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #721 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39 AM »
I downloaded it again after many attempts to work with it in the past - I am high-tech in some areas, but databases, since dBase III+ went away a million or so years ago, are my definite Kryptonite!  I also never put a lot of effort into it.  But I am going to give it another shot, too!

And I see that Pierre has now put a price on the finished product - and it appears to be eminently reasonable.  At least as reasonable - or more so - than other commercial products in the same genus.

Thanks Pierre.

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #722 on: August 03, 2008, 09:02 PM »
As a daily VERY enthusiast user of SQLNotes, I think it's important to remember that SQLNotes is still beta and will have rough edges, bugs and missing features (for some) until V1... but less and less as the software gets closer to release time...  ;)
Heck... I use it everyday to do increasingly complex stuff!!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #723 on: August 03, 2008, 10:37 PM »
As a daily VERY enthusiast user of SQLNotes, I think it's important to remember that SQLNotes is still beta and will have rough edges, bugs and missing features (for some) until V1... but less and less as the software gets closer to release time...  ;)

As does Ultra Recall, and Evernote, and OneNote 2007, etc., etc....

All may not be beta versions, but all also cannot claim perfection! Heck, what software application can?  :)

BTW, the above comment is not meant to be a slam against any of the mentioned programs; IMO, all the apps on my computer have those same attributes mentioned by Armando - some rough edges, bugs, and missing features. I just mentioned those three because they happen to be notes-related.  And actually all are superior in their class!

Jim

PS - DC pages are not rendering well at all at the time of this post. Something going on with the servers, mouser? (Other sites all look fine to me).

jpm2112

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #724 on: September 29, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Hey everyone.

I've posted in this thread a few times about my company's note taking software, NoteScribe, and I just wanted to let you all know that we've made a few updates. We just released a premium version of our software which now includes an organizational calendar that sends reminders through email, text message, and desktop pop-up, multiple databases to separate, work, school, home, or whatever type of notes you have, and the upgrade also allows you to create multiple sources and multiple categories for notes.

Awhile back when I posted, people mentioned not being pleased with the "nag screen". We've toned that down as well, so it's not displayed every time the program is started. If you check out the program, please let us know of any other suggestions for improvement that you would like to see (we're currently working on a web-based version, and also a Mac version, just to clarify before posting this!).

Visit www.NoteScribe.net for more information and a free download. Thanks again everyone!