ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (176/192) > >>

rjbull:
TreeDBNotes
[...]I don't use it to collect information from elsewhere, although it says it is an information manager. [...]

The clipping is quite good, but I don't see it as a web clipper at all. There are keyboard shortcuts, but I don't use them. Virtually all these features are there in the free version of the program.-Dormouse (December 01, 2012, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you checked the Free version lately?  Their TreeDBNotes FREE vs PRO - Feature CompareTreeDBNotes FREE vs PRO - Feature Compare chart left me slightly puzzled.  The headings are Free, Free registered, and Pro.  It lists far more features for Free registered than vanilla Free.  I thought, oh, they're offering a free registration to unlock extra features and get you on their mailing list, an uncommon ploy but not unknown.  But if you look at their Buy Now page and scroll down to TreeDBNotes (Free), it gives different purchase prices for personal and business use.  I don't have any problem with a single .EXE being a basic Free version on its own and more advanced Standard version on being unlocked, but I don't think they should still advertise the Standard version as Free when it's payware.  Maybe they just forgot to change the name?

I don't much care for the e-book Help file, either, especially as the Ctrl+G global search doesn't work, and it seems a bit thin on real information.  I couldn't see anything about Web clipping in the sense that EverNote, RightNote, UR etc. do.

Dormouse:
Have you checked the Free version lately?  Their TreeDBNotes FREE vs PRO - Feature CompareTreeDBNotes FREE vs PRO - Feature Compare chart left me slightly puzzled.  The headings are Free, Free registered, and Pro.  It lists far more features for Free registered than vanilla Free.  I thought, oh, they're offering a free registration to unlock extra features and get you on their mailing list, an uncommon ploy but not unknown.  But if you look at their Buy Now page and scroll down to TreeDBNotes (Free), it gives different purchase prices for personal and business use.  I don't have any problem with a single .EXE being a basic Free version on its own and more advanced Standard version on being unlocked, but I don't think they should still advertise the Standard version as Free when it's payware.  Maybe they just forgot to change the name?-rjbull (December 07, 2012, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd agree about the confusion between Free Registered (that they charge for) and Free and it would be better if the Registered version was just called Standard. But, in terms of features, nearly all the features that the registered version has that the free version hasn't are not to do with the actual text editing functions. When I used the free version, I never felt the slightest need to upgrade, and only upgraded to the Pro version on a BdJ offer because I felt it would be good to pay something for a program that I used regularly. And that would still be true now.

I don't much care for the e-book Help file, either, especially as the Ctrl+G global search doesn't work, and it seems a bit thin on real information.  I couldn't see anything about Web clipping in the sense that EverNote, RightNote, UR etc. do.-rjbull (December 07, 2012, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't used keyboard shortcuts, so I hadn't noticed that - I also tend not to use Help files. What it does have is a lot of options on the menus (top & right click), so I have always found it very easy to explore the possibilities of the program. Depends how you do things, which is one of the reasons I think these programs are very subject to personal preference.

Yes, I don't think it does web clipping in the way those other programs do. The clipping it does do, is just the usual sort of screen shots, images, text etc but it does work and is integrated in the program. Web clipping is more of an archive/PIM thing - and as I said, it claims to be a PIM, but I've never seen it as one, and feel it is just a (very good) text editor.

I've used Rightnote a bit more now, and am struggling to find anything I can use it for apart from the clipping from Opera; tiny spreadsheet tables seems to be the only other thing and I don't know how much I would want to use that. Just seems less good generally, and less suiting my way of working, than the other programs I have. I've also been tempted back into using Ultra Recall more since trying Rightnote, and it does do a lot of things pretty well; quite a number of similarities with Rightnote, all in Ultra Recall's favour with exception of the Opera clipping. But Rightnote still seems to be progressing while UR seems not to be.

Paul Keith:
Minor update. Probably old but it's been a while since I downloaded Jarte and I just found out they not only had a new skin (which I'm not a fan of) but also sports a new clickless mousing basically hovering the mouse instead of clicking on menus. Too bad most of the hover is on useless options.

rjbull:
in terms of features, nearly all the features that the registered version has that the free version hasn't are not to do with the actual text editing functions.
[...]
Yes, I don't think it does web clipping in the way those other programs do. The clipping it does do, is just the usual sort of screen shots, images, text etc but it does work and is integrated in the program. Web clipping is more of an archive/PIM thing - and as I said, it claims to be a PIM, but I've never seen it as one, and feel it is just a (very good) text editor.-Dormouse (December 07, 2012, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is where we differ, as I'm primarily concerned with keeping Web clips, plus my own text notes, in one convenient program with good searching.  I've never tried a modern Windows PIM/outliner for content creation.  I'm unlikely to need that now, and would find it hard to adapt, after years of using pencil and paper, and DOS WordStar-style editors.  I see the point when you need to combine self-generated material with outside sources into a coherent whole, of course.

When I used the free version, I never felt the slightest need to upgrade, and only upgraded to the Pro version on a BdJ offer because I felt it would be good to pay something for a program that I used regularly.-Dormouse (December 07, 2012, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I did something like that with the last free version of ClipCache, registering as a thank-you but never bothering to install the registered version until the old one proved no longer reliable on later versions of Windows.

I don't used keyboard shortcuts, so I hadn't noticed that - I also tend not to use Help files. What it does have is a lot of options on the menus (top & right click), so I have always found it very easy to explore the possibilities of the program. Depends how you do things, which is one of the reasons I think these programs are very subject to personal preference.-Dormouse (December 07, 2012, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed so; again we differ, as I really like to have hotkeys, especially for new Web clip and add more content to current note.

I've also been tempted back into using Ultra Recall more since trying Rightnote, and it does do a lot of things pretty well; quite a number of similarities with Rightnote, all in Ultra Recall's favour with exception of the Opera clipping. But Rightnote still seems to be progressing while UR seems not to be.-Dormouse (December 07, 2012, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've seen the comment that UR's interface is confusing, but suspect that familiarity plays a big part.  I have to say I haven't used click.to myself, but, could you get UR to clip from Opera by using click.to as a helper app?  The author of All My Notes Organizer has used this approach instead of adding web clip hotkeys or actions in his own program.  Details here: Integrate AllMyNotes to work with click.to [web-clipping].  Maybe something similar might work for UR.

Dormouse:
This is where we differ, as I'm primarily concerned with keeping Web clips, plus my own text notes, in one convenient program with good searching.  I've never tried a modern Windows PIM/outliner for content creation.  -rjbull (December 09, 2012, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
As I said originally, I use TreeDBNotes primarily for writing and don't clip anything into it; I rarely attach files either. I like the freedom to organise and reorganise (outlining is really good for this) and having a lot of the things I write in one easy to access place. And I find it much more intuitive with access to commands than the alternatives (remembering that I hate using hotkeys). I can see that you have to like hotkeys if you are used to WordStar and derivatives. I couldn't wait to get away from them (& the mainframe equivalents) - I loved the whole GUI phenomenon from the moment I saw Lisa (and stayed away from IBM & MS machines as much as I could until Win 95 appeared).

I've also been tempted back into using Ultra Recall more since trying Rightnote, and it does do a lot of things pretty well; quite a number of similarities with Rightnote, all in Ultra Recall's favour with exception of the Opera clipping. But Rightnote still seems to be progressing while UR seems not to be.-Dormouse (December 07, 2012, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've seen the comment that UR's interface is confusing, but suspect that familiarity plays a big part.  I have to say I haven't used click.to myself, but, could you get UR to clip from Opera by using click.to as a helper app?  The author of All My Notes Organizer has used this approach instead of adding web clip hotkeys or actions in his own program.  Details here: Integrate AllMyNotes to work with click.to [web-clipping].  Maybe something similar might work for UR.
-rjbull (December 09, 2012, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I quite like UR's interface, complex as it is; it's the tie in with MS programs that puts me off the most. And I love the multi panes. Both it and RightNote work fine to store files & webpages, and I'm happy enough storing info in a different prog from the one I am writing in - it is as easy to switch between programs as it is to switch focus within a program and with sufficient monitor(s) space everything is visible all the time, so that is OK. And I use EverNote  for an increasing host of other stuff.

I hadn't heard of click.to but had a look when I saw this. I wasn't clear about exactly what it does & didn't see references to clipping full web pages, let alone how to send them to new notes in something like UR - I uninstalled it pretty quickly - and it is interesting how much extra rubbish had to be cleared up once it had been uninstalled. In practice, I remain happy with ClipMate for ordinary clipping (despite development stopping) and SnagIt for regions and windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version