ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (76/192) > >>

nudone:
firstly, i'd like to say i've given up with texnotespro. perhaps it's just my machine or perhaps i'm just doing things with the program that i shouldn't, but it seems to crash when i'm using it. mainly when i'm tempted to use the graphic functions. i suppose i can avoid trying to draw inside the program but i always think i'll try one more time - then bang, it crashes. oh well.

i'm now thinking i just need something really simply - to stop me messing about with the program. so, i have a question:

is there a note taking program that uses individual txt files as the individual notes AND has a tree structure type view so you can see all the files/notes. even more than this i'd like the program to be able to show a tree view of txt files that are in different locations on the hard drive - and the ability for it to remember this each time i run it.

i would imagine this is a pretty simple set of requirements and maybe coding editors can do this.

any suggestions, please.

edit:
i've thought of a way of doing what i requested by using directory opus. just create a 'collection' folder named 'notes' (or whatever) then just 'send to' this collection the txt files, regardless of their location.

Perry Mowbray:
edit:
i've thought of a way of doing what i requested by using directory opus. just create a 'collection' folder named 'notes' (or whatever) then just 'send to' this collection the txt files, regardless of their location.
-nudone (January 30, 2007, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

That, or something similar, was what came to mind reading your post.

What about Projects? PSPad, as well as many other TextEditors, has the ability to manage projects. So the files can be anywhere on your drive and kept together in your project definition for easy editing... yes?

- Perry

nudone:
thanks, i'll try pspad.

i really can't make up my mind what to use. i keep trying things and then abandoning them in favour of just using a txt file. but directory opus has the advantage of being able to include folders/files in a 'collection' so i'm trying to use it as a project management system - maybe i can stick to this method.

i shall definitely give pspad a try...

superboyac:
nudone, here's a quote straight from the review about the program AM-Notebook (from the same authors as Website-Watcher):
One of the better notetaking programs.  It is efficiently designed and has several unique and important features.  The only programs listed here that has a built-in spreadsheet capable of simple calculations.  Also supports individual note encryption.  Could very well have been included in the "Big Three" but it's closest competitor, Mybase, has too many additional features that AM doesn't have.  AM is also the only program that keeps each note as a separate file, and the tree structure for the database is an actual folder structure on your hard drive.
--- End quote ---

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's pretty close I think.  If it is, then you're in luck because it's a really nice program.  It's unfortunate that Texnotes Pro didn't work out for you because it's becoming one of the best programs I've seen as far as features and abilities.  Maybe you should report your experience on their forum (maybe I will!).

Darwin:
I am always AMAZED by TexNotes Pro's power. The developers, via the forum, are incredibly receptive to criticisms and suggestions. They are not quick to release, though, so don't expect issues to be dealt with quickly. Just know that they will be addressed eventually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version