ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best app ore method to restore a Win7 system? (not a disk image)

<< < (4/4)

MilesAhead:
I'm trying Matroska Pack. But on another forum people are telling me to quit bothering with packs altogether.  If this latest one doesn't do it for me I guess I'll resort to manual one at a time configuration.  Just so many settings on these media things it seems like a month of reading. :(

sajman99:
...on another forum people are telling me to quit bothering with packs altogether. ...
-MilesAhead (August 03, 2010, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good advice IMO. No doubt I haven't delved into video to the extent you have, MilesAhead, but many of these codec packs offered as all-in-one cures can actually hurt a heckuva lot more than they help. If one problem gets solved while another develops, it just becomes a huge slippery slope (ie. royal pita). Not to mention all the add-on/toolbar crapola that we have to constantly watch for.

MilesAhead:
@tranglos sorry to hijack your thread.  We get a lot of developer interaction on this site so I'm hoping we can get some in-depth explanations how these rollback and other schemes work. I played around with VMs and I'm not all that thrilled doing it that way. It would be nice if there were viable alternatives.

@sajman99 I found out what was driving me nuts.  By updating the codec pack, I messed up BDRebuilder setup.  With BDRebuilder you must use the FFDShow and Matroska Splitter downloads from the BDRebuilder beta thead or you never get anywhere.  I hadn't noticed the report on bad versions because it scrolled up in the log dialog to where only OKs where left showing. I thought something else was messing me up.

sajman99:
@tranglos: Comodo Time Machine may be worth a look.   http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/data-recovery.php :
Comodo Time Machine (CTM) is a powerful system rollback utility that allows users to quickly restore their computers to an earlier point in time. CTM 'snapshots' are a complete record of your entire system (including the registry, critical operating system files and user created documents).

--- End quote ---

As others have mentioned, I also prefer imaging as a recovery solution so I haven't personally tested Comodo Time Machine. Early CTM reports were a bit sketchy with folks indicating that uninstalling CTM hosed their MBR. Now that the software has been out a while, hopefully any major issues have been resolved. You may want to check the Comodo forums to investigate any existing issues with this freeware.

Regards

4wd:
Another thread hijack:

I thought I'd try Shark007's codec pack since it seemed people were saying good things about it........stupid me, (will I never learn?)  :(

A file that before installation I had no trouble playing in MPC-HC, no longer would play the video even though MPC-HC is set to use it's internal filters.

The config interface for Shark007's codec pack is confusing compared to ffdshow, IMO, or maybe I'm just used to ffdshow.

So, after all of 20 minutes Shark007 got removed and I went back to XviD 1.22 (x86) and ffdshow x64 - and everything works again.

Codec packs - BAH!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version