topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Quashed Effort to Boost Online Privacy  (Read 2476 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Quashed Effort to Boost Online Privacy
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:22 PM »
The thread title is the headline on a Wall Street Journal article published yesterday. Interesting piece on Microsoft's internal battle over customer privacy vs. ad revenue. Guess who won?   8) :(

Here's the link:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703467304575383530439838568.html

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Quashed Effort to Boost Online Privacy
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I saw this yesterday - I never think of posting this kind of stuff :-[ - I'm more an off-DC-topics kind of guy :)

What sounds really crazy to me is that you lose your privacy settings each time you close IE8 (they say anyways).
After reading this and the other WSJ link posted here lately What the websites know about you about tracking cookies, I had a look at my settings in FF. They have the option to turn these (3rd party cookies) off so well hidden, that I have never noticed it before (a drop-down option under privacy - when changed it reveals a whole bunch of 'custom' options - at least they stick...)

MS have been going a bit crazy with the whole Livemail thing too lately - I experienced it personally, and read about it on Windows Secrets Windows Live shares your Messenger contacts. Maybe they should get together with facebook ;-)
Tom