topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New member  (Read 6366 times)

dongler

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:23 AM »
signed up to get a licence key - what a waste of time. this place is a joke, not even worth the effort to scrabble around trying to find the unsubscribe function

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28 AM »
It's usually helpful to say why it was a waste of time. Someone can probably help you out to solve whatever problem you're having.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:35 AM »
I'm sorry you're having trouble with the site.. If you let us know where you're having trouble we can help.  You can send me a personal message if you want us to delete your account.

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:32 AM »
lol, sounds like a loser  ;D
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:40 AM »
hpearce,
there are a lot of confusing things on the site -- if someone posts out of frustration here, we should try our best to be helpful.

since this is our home here we might feel tempted to get mad at people who come in and post something negative.. but we have to remember to view the site also through the eyes of someone who has come to the site for the first time and is not used to the way we do things.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:03 AM »
This:

Screenshot - 2011-11-24 , 3_00_28 AM.png

Is fairly small. A menu link for licenses or large button might help. That could be the problem. Not sure as he didn't specify much. Reading again, it might be because he couldn't see the free license link.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Renegade makes a good point. FWIW, two people who I recommended DC to later asked me if I knew how to get "one of those free licenses." So it may not be all that rare a problem for some people even though I had no trouble finding it on my first visit. Nor did anybody else I steered here.

Go figure. :-\

So yeah...maybe one of those big green "download/get license key" buttons many sites seem to have standardized on could alleviate the confusion for these folks?

I personally think FileHippo has an exceptionally good (if not the best) setup for downloads. Everything on one tabbed page per title including links to previous versions. Very clear design.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:26 AM by 40hz »

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:27 AM »
@mouser,

Is there any way (statistics) of mouse click recorded on links of our DC site ? If yes, we can use it to make larger/button for the links which are used most.

I also agree we think of revamping our site, after all now we are in Pad/Tablet time  :)

@dongler, if you read this, I hope you must be very happy enough to use one of our App, to get the license key. Rest assured the developer of that App will forward more help to you both for the App and the site, if you may require. Feel free to contact.

Criticism helps to develop better next version, example Win7 after Vista.

Regards,

Anand

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Criticism helps to develop better next version, example Win7 after Vista.

That being said, there's still a constructive way to complain. Getting insulting and storming off without first affording someone the pleasure of helping you out doesn't accomplish anything.

Just my 2ยข  8)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 03:23 PM »

@Mouser, why not add "License" link at the top of the menu near "Donate" and make it red or flashing ( with image -new). That works on noobs and people with less attention span.

My 2 cents.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 03:48 PM »
I personally think FileHippo has an exceptionally good (if not the best) setup for downloads. Everything on one tabbed page per title including links to previous versions. Very clear design.

I never really checked the site out before. I see what you mean though.  Bookmarked. :)

Forum based boards can throw you a bit. If you've been on a bunch you kind of assume the rules will be pretty similar and may not read them carefully.  Subtle differences can be annoying. But I do think it's a bit counter-productive not to at least ask one question before throwing up one's hands and kicking the chess board over. :)

I see more and more sites trying to filter out "fake complaint spam" for lack of a better term. They start out Register before you can post.  Then Register and click link in activation email. Then Register with link in activation email but before you can do that you have to decipher some Capcha' Crap, register, then use the link.  Then if it's a software publisher it becomes "registered users only" may post.

The net is really turning to crap fast.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:54 PM by MilesAhead »