topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Req: Session based file-naming  (Read 3144 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Req: Session based file-naming
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:50 AM »
i've noticed this for sometime and it bothers me a bit since i use SC not just as a screenshot tool but also for managing the captured images.

it's like this, if i capture 'selected region' of an area in Firefox, SC will name it as "Firefox.exe-01_08_2010_001.png" which is good since that is how i've defined it in the 'File Naming Template'. however if the next capture of the same Firefox window is invoked via 'Grab Repeat Last Size+Pos', then the file will be named "Screenshot Captor-01_08_2010_001.png" (see pic) which is technically correct but it disrupts my work-flow.

what i suggest is that if a screen-capture is within a range of x seconds or minutes of the previous capture, then filename should continued as a sequence, disregarding 'File Naming Template'. in this case, the 2nd capture will be "Firefox.exe-01_08_2010_002.png".

Screenshot Captor-01_08_2010-002.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Req: Session based file-naming
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 11:05 AM »
That's an interesting idea.. but i can see it being very hard to get right automatically.

I wonder if you might find the "file name QuickField" to suit your purposes better?  It was created for exactly what you say, "session-based" naming, where you can quickly set a value that will be added to every capture until you change it.  You'll find it on the bottom right of the main window, and you can place this field where you want in the file name template.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Req: Session based file-naming
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:44 PM »
thanks mouser for the QuickField tip. i tried that briefly before but can't recall why i didn't continue using it. it's a good time to try it out again, i guess..