Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 23, 2014, 05:25:55 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Router Q: Bandwidth thottling  (Read 3676 times)
Cloq
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »

Do any consumer routers support bandwidth throttling/packet shaping? 4-8 port router with wireless support.

It would really help in a family situation, prevent certain members of the family from hogging all the bandwidth due using peer to peer like apps for instance.

I have tried the QoS and like approach. Really doesn't seem to make a real difference.
Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:22 AM »

I have a young son who can use a lot of our Bandwidth at times, and I've found a gentle word will get him to throttle himself; he uses NetLimitter I think ...

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »

I've found a gentle word will get him to throttle himself

I should probably have posted this under new products and services but…
If all else fails, for a modest fee (plus expenses) I'll come round and throttle him for you  smiley

Chris
patthecat

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

Check to see if the ASUS RT-N12 or ASUS RT-N13 fits your needs.  They can be found in Buy.com, Newegg.com, and jr.com. 
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »

I would just buy something compatible with DDWRT (list here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wik...Devices#Supported_Devices ) and use the throttling feautures built-in to the software.

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

I use an old Pentium II PC (with Linux) as a router/DNS/Gateway/DHCP/Proxy/Squid/Firewall. Throttling is relatively easy to do when you can have a dedicated PC to do this kind of "heavy lifting".

Actually I have two incoming connections and diverting which user uses which connection is also relatively easy to do as well. And with Squid I have a clear picture of what everybody in the household is doing on the net as well.

By using a dedicated PC, one can use whatever (external) modem that is available at any time (a dealbreaker in my case).
Cloq
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »

I would just buy something compatible with DDWRT (list here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wik...Devices#Supported_Devices ) and use the throttling feautures built-in to the software.
- Oshyan

I was looking at DDWRT software/firmware but didn't come across anything concrete about bandwidth throttling.
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »

Quite a lot of the Zyxel modem and router range support Media Bandwidth Management - they can throttle the bandwidth used depending on the traffic/IP/port/etc applicable to WAN/LAN/WLAN independently on a Priority or Fairness based model.

I use it to give priority to WLAN traffic and also throttle my downloader pc when there's HTML/email/etc traffic happening.

Otherwise, there is also cFosSpeed which I've used for years.  You can install it on all PCs and it will co-operatively prioritise the bandwidth among them giving P2P and other bulk protocols a lower priority.  It can also do online budgets based on time or volume, traffic analysis, usage graph and prioritise to favour ping time or bandwidth.

Personally, I think it's a great program and it certainly works for my network setup but you can try it for free for 30 days to see if it's suitable for your circumstances.

NOTE: I'm only a happy user of cFosSpeed, not in any way associated with the company.  I got my license for free, (by providing traffic data for my hardware/ISP), but I also bought another license.

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
complearning123
Supporting Member

Mejor solo que mal acompanado!

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »

boo to cricket wireless throttling their customers and claiming it is unlimited.  shame on you cricket you fibber mcghee.

Lord, please make my words sweet and tender today, for tomorrow I may have to eat them!"
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »

DD-WRT should do everything you need:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wik...ex.php/Quality_of_Service

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
Cloq
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »

DD-WRT should do everything you need:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wik...ex.php/Quality_of_Service

- Oshyan

Interesting.. will have to take a look at using tc command. thanks!

@4wd - Zyxel is a bit out of my budget.. though I have had a zyxel router before and it's interface (gui) reminds me of Netgear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.06 ]