topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: power management software - free  (Read 3165 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
power management software - free
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:48 PM »
 does anyone know of any kind of power management software that will work on a network?  for windows machines using windows server 2003 with active directory. something free, open source, or low cost would be great!

Actually want something that will give me a central control over the power settings on the other computers on the network.  They are running Win XP Pro SP3

i have looked at the demo on www.absolute.com/power but it does way more than what I want.

I will have 110 computers this year (down from the last year).  with our declining enrollment, we need to pinch pennies anywhere we can.  by the way, we are a K-12 public school here in the heartland of the United States (Kansas).

thanks in advanced,
dave
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:31 PM by techidave »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: power management software - free
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:03 PM »
by the way I have read the suggestions from energystar.gov but haven't actually tried any of their recommendations.  Has anyone tried them?

software options

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:19 PM »
-your own link seems to hold the answer @ http://www.energysta....pr_power_mgt_ez_gpo

3) EZ GPO allows a network administrator to centrally control computer power management settings on Windows 2000 and XP PCs using Group Policy Objects.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:40 AM »
You are correct, Curt.  But the real question was has anyone out there in DC land used any of this stuff before?  The OP probably didn't have the question stated very clearly.