ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

All about FBSL!

(1/3) > >>

Gerome:
Dear All,

I'm quite new here, i won't bother you, but i've noticed since i've been greatly granted to this wonderful place, that some people have been interested in my language aka FBSL

So, any remarks, questions, scripts and tidbits would be very welcomed here.

kfitting:
I've got a question for you... I looked at FBSL very briefly a year ago or so, but since then I found out about AutoIt.  After using AutoIt for a while I realize that it's powerful... but somewhat slow because of it's overhead.  Is FBSL closer to being an actual language rather than a "translator?"  In other words, from what I understand, AutoIt translates it's syntax into a C style language.  Naturally, programs written in C to begin with can be faster and more efficient.  Is FBSL a layer on top of C?(Sorry my terminology is way off... I'm not a dedicated programmer, just a VBA/AutoIt scripter!) 

Kevin

Gerome:
Hi,

I've got a question for you... I looked at FBSL very briefly a year ago or so, but since then I found out about AutoIt.  After using AutoIt for a while I realize that it's powerful... but somewhat slow because of it's overhead.  Is FBSL closer to being an actual language rather than a "translator?"  In other words, from what I understand, AutoIt translates it's syntax into a C style language.  Naturally, programs written in C to begin with can be faster and more efficient.  Is FBSL a layer on top of C?(Sorry my terminology is way off... I'm not a dedicated programmer, just a VBA/AutoIt scripter!) 

Kevin
-kfitting (February 07, 2006, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting question :)
One year ago, FBSL was into its V2 that is now dead and burried because of too much slow procedures and too much RAM greedy...
We (the FBSL Team) decided to rewrite FBSL from scratch months ago.
This time, all is written in pure C ANSI C89 && C99 + AT&T ASM.
FBSL is still an interpreter but this time compared to V2, the V3 is barely 1000 times faster!
Inner maths routines are AS fast as pure C code.
Externally, loops & co are somewhat as fast (or sometimes more) faster than a VB compiled native code!
FBSL is not compiled because the purpose is keeping the best flexibility that you can't have with a real compiled language : we have axed our language onto flexibility and ability to play recursively and infinitely Fbsl code that is able to interpret Fbsl code that is to interpret Fbsl code etc...
Infinite depth, Classes, virtual functions are possible in FBSL!
Say what ?
Still not have your ow copy?
Rhoooo... bum rush the show ;)

Cpilot:
I'm not one of the developers, but I have used FBSL since before the switch to Version 3. FBSL is just about the fastest interpreted language I have ever seen. And I really enjoy dabbling in Assembly. ;)
I primarily (80% of the time) use FBSL now basically because I like the speed of it and the flexibility.
The usefulness of classes is kinda debatable IMO, but interaction with the API and COM is pretty easy compared to a lot of other languages out there.
If you want automation then you can use the WScript.Shell object, but with FBSL you can also create a GUI interface and then preprogram your key stokes, call on the windows time API to tell it when you want to activate your commands, create a result file and then close everything down when finished.
WMI, InternetExplorer.Application object, Word.Application...shoot about any COM object is accessable, want to use WMI to monitor your CPU usage? You can access the COM interface and create a nice GUI with prograss bar, or any other graphic you want.
Linking to 3rd party DLL's or OCX's are easy.
If you like dabbling with OpenGL then FBSL is fast enough to render 3d smoothly and seamlessly.

It's very hard to describe all the features available with this language. The best thing to do is to read the help and take a look at the examples and scripts posted to the forum.

FBSL

kfitting:
Sounds nice.  I downloaded and installed.... I'll have to play around with it at work.  Is there any way to not have to install FBSL to code it?  Is there a zip file I can just unzip and "away I go?"  I really am interested in the API functionality... why reinvent the wheel?  Are there any good Windows API references you know of?  THanks

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version