ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why do support people never answer questions?

<< < (4/4)

Jibz:
The point is that while it is true that people don't like to hear I-Don't-Know ... They hate to be jerked around even more.-Stoic Joker (October 20, 2010, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true :Thmbsup:.

f0dder:
The point is that while it is true that people don't like to hear I-Don't-Know ... They hate to be jerked around even more.-Stoic Joker (October 20, 2010, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed. Glad to hear that your honesty had positive results - it doesn't always >_<

40hz:
--- End quote ---
Indeed. Glad to hear that your honesty had positive results - it doesn't always >_<

-f0dder (October 22, 2010, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've always had a great deal of respect for anybody who has enough personal confidence and self-respect to admit to not knowing something.

A senior manager, for a contract client I reported to, had dismissed two of his senior technical staff members the day before I started.

When I asked him what that was all about, he said his decision to fire them wasn't so much about them not knowing something they should have known. It was more about how often what they "knew" turned out to be dead wrong.

I think most people are like this manager. A gap in knowledge is far easier to excuse than an attempt to cover it up with guesses and a pile of BS.

:Thmbsup:

f0dder:
40hz: another success story, yay! :)

Not always a good idea, though... but I've perhaps been a bit idealistic at times. Several years ago, I had some rather urgent personal matters that needed attention (friend of mine had some problems). Called my workplace, but instead of calling in sick I said things as they were - that I chose not to lie and call in sick, but that I need to fix some really urgent personal stuff and had to take the day off. I got the reply that the only reason I didn't get fired on the spot was that I had worked my ass off for the previous couple of months, and that if something similar ever happened I would get shafted, so I had better damn lie.

In retrospect it was stupid to tell the truth rather than calling in sick, like 99.999% of people probably do every now and then... but I were young and idealistic, and it was my first job... so I didn't know much about how workplaces work :)

Stoic Joker:
My wife called me at work one day around 1:00 on a Friday. One of our dogs (the puppy she was quite attached to) had gotten out of the gate and run off into the woods by some railroad tracks near our house.

If you've been married for any length of time, you'll know your spouse well enough that when certain tones are used... :)

...So I left work to go help find the dog ... Which involved tromping through the woods for 7 hours. Occasionally the dog would surface - but being a puppy - He would just run past and away...again... Which meant my ass had to run wide open through the thicket trying to follow the little prick. Mind you I've been smoking for over 30 years...so this is no small feat.

The point being...

When I got to work that Monday, the owner (whom I report to directly) came by to inquire as to my whereabouts on Friday afternoon. -(eek!)- ...I simply told her the story above - which was a good bit longer with the rest of the details.

Her only concern, which she expressed by stopping me half way through the story...was about whether or not the dog was okay... Apparently my absence and the judgment involved in its coming to be were irrelevant as long as the puppy survived intact ... Which he did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version