ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

lap top cooling pad

(1/5) > >>

ljbirns:
Are these cooling pads effective ?  My wife's laptop died after 5 years.  Motherboard failure.  It is plugged in  from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM every day.  Would a cooling pad have prevented this ?
I notice that the cooling pad plugs into a USB port - are there ones that just plug into an electric plug ? 
If they are effective is there a brand you would recommend ?

Thanks

yksyks:
I was quite skeptical about these devices, but my laptop, which I seldom switch off, was constantly overheated (Dell, of course), so I decided to give this a try. To my surprise the CPU temperature dropped down by 15 to 20 °C. This sure prolongs the motherboard life.

Besides, it contains 4-port USB hub with an external power supply, but can run without it, should you prefer. It's Belkin. I expect it could run by itself with its power supply solely, but I can't verify it at the moment, as I don't have the power supply with me.

ljbirns:
Thanks

That information is what  I was looking for. 

barney:
While I cannot speak to the efficacy of cooling pads, I can speak about an alternative ;D,

I had a laptop, a WinBook, that I bought in 2000 ... it died earlier this year.  For nine (9) years, it has been powered up around the clock, used as a desktop machine.  Shortly after I bought it, I hot-glued four (4) plastic bottle-caps, screw-off caps from beverage bottles, to a piece of cardboard from a furniture box, cut to just larger than the WinBook footprint.

Considering the price of cooling pads as opposed to my impromptu riser, you might try that, see if the temperature drop is similar to the change yksyks saw.  As an alternative, it's green and free.  If it doesn't seem to work, you can always go the cooling pad route.

app103:
I had a laptop, a WinBook, that I bought in 2000 ... it died earlier this year.  For nine (9) years, it has been powered up around the clock, used as a desktop machine.  Shortly after I bought it, I hot-glued four (4) plastic bottle-caps, screw-off caps from beverage bottles, to a piece of cardboard from a furniture box, cut to just larger than the WinBook footprint.
-barney (July 29, 2010, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

My daughter has an enormous beast of a laptop containing a desktop processor (HP NX9600). It's a desktop replacement model with a full sized keyboard w/numeric keypad. And it runs very hot, too hot to use as an actual laptop without cooking yourself.

Someone bought her a cooling pad for it, but it's too small and the fan in it spins in the wrong direction, causing the laptop to run hotter than without it.

So my daughter keeps it on her desk, elevated with 4 empty tuna fish cans, wondering if she were to slide a baking tray under there, if she could bake cookies with it.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version