And then take a look on the table on this page
. Pay particular attention to what you see in the column marked "in own script" If you can't see the characters as they should be, go to the last column and look for a little black box to download the font to make it work. Install those fonts, then go back to the page and check again.
Hi. I'm not sure whether your message is meant for John (the OP) or for me. I just want to say that I have no problem >95% of the time with character encoding on web pages. Also, I went to the page you've mentioned and had no problem seeing all the characters. It's not that I need different fonts or that I've set up my system improperly. But occasionally I'll come upon a website that uses a character-encoding format that doesn't work well with the one I've set as my default. That's when I simply go into the View menu and change the character encoding setting to one that works for that page.