topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My iPad Quest  (Read 4526 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My iPad Quest
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:42 PM »
As I said in another post, I have been really considering getting an iPad.  I've just been holding off as I do when some new tech captures my attention- to do some due diligence and such.  That quest is over now... and I'm not getting an iPad. 

ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpgMy iPad Quest

When I saw the image above, I decided to instead gett a tc1100 to see how it stacks up.  I'm chronicling my quest and how it turns out on my blog.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My iPad Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 02:17 AM »
interesting. i'll be keen to see how you progress. i hope it's a positive outcome.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:41 AM »
i've just bought a TC1100 from ebay, i.e. i'm the winning bidder, it hasn't been posted to me yet.

once i saw that it had a pressure sensitive pen i decided it was worth a gamble. it will be used for web browsing but i hope to use it for sketching too. I've already got a Wacom Cintiq 1200 that doesn't get used much due to the inconvenience of it not being very portable (you have to drag a pc around with it); so, i'm expecting the TC1100 to be more "fun" to use.

the person selling it was using Ubuntu, which they recommended over XP Tablet Edition. i've not looked into it but it sounds like there might be a lot of "iPad" features already available with the right Ubuntu setup. i'll look into all that after i've seen the XP Tablet system working.

anything else interesting and i'll report back.

i hope you discover a lot of nice things with the tablet too, wraith808. i see your blog hasn't any real news yet.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:43 AM by nudone »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45 AM »
As I said in another post, I have been really considering getting an iPad.  I've just been holding off as I do when some new tech captures my attention- to do some due diligence and such.  That quest is over now... and I'm not getting an iPad.  
 (see attachment in previous post)
When I saw the image above, I decided to instead gett a tc1100 to see how it stacks up.  I'm chronicling my quest and how it turns out on my blog.
Hmmm...this makes me think twice about my ipad.  What's the best altertnative out there right now?  I'm guessing it's something that runs Droid?  But I suppose Win7 works also.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03 AM »
i hope you discover a lot of nice things with the tablet too, wraith808. i see your blog hasn't any real news yet.

I've been too busy with my toy  :-[  I have a couple of posts worth of info to put up there... I've updated with one, and I'll try to get to the actual unit and my initial experiences tonight.  Though there are definite pros and cons, I'm very satisfied so far.  The only area that's a real bummer (though I sort of expected that) is battery life, though I'm not sure if it's the battery.  I'm thinking about getting a new one to see- and since they're hot swappable, it might be a good idea anyway.  And there's always the SSD option, which I've heard massively improves battery life.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Hmmm...this makes me think twice about my ipad.  What's the best altertnative out there right now?  I'm guessing it's something that runs Droid?  But I suppose Win7 works also.

Truthfully, I don't think there *is* a best alternative out there right now- sort of like back when Microsoft first introduced the tablet.  But the iPad has made people look at the tablet differently, so I think that we're very close to getting there, which is one of the reasons I decided to go old school for now to save money and not get burnt by being on the bleeding edge.  I figure 3-400 now, and play a waiting game for at least the next 18 months to see if something solid comes out of it from any other players.  Even if nothing materializes, the iPad should have gone through a couple of iterations by then, making the wait worth it in any case.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Interesting.  Yes, I remember those first tablet days.  you're right, there were no alternatives at the time.  But I'm going to get something before December.  I don't want to wait for something that's coming further away than that.  I think I may wait for the HP Slate, which is supposed to come out in October.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I've been too busy with my toy  :-[  I have a couple of posts worth of info to put up there... I've updated with one, and I'll try to get to the actual unit and my initial experiences tonight.  Though there are definite pros and cons, I'm very satisfied so far.  The only area that's a real bummer (though I sort of expected that) is battery life, though I'm not sure if it's the battery.  I'm thinking about getting a new one to see- and since they're hot swappable, it might be a good idea anyway.  And there's always the SSD option, which I've heard massively improves battery life.

okay, sounds good. i look forward to reading the blog updates.

i won't have the tablet until some time next week as the current owner is putting XP Tablet and Ubuntu onto the drive - but they can't do it until the weekend  :(