topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommend video conferencing software/solutions.  (Read 8370 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommend video conferencing software/solutions.
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:28 PM »
OK, continuing the trend of recommendations I have asked for lately:
Now, I'm looking for the best solution for video conferencing, with some kind of desktop sharing feature included.

I like to avoid cloud-based services.  I'd rather run the application from one or both computers (server+client, or just two clients).  There are only two parties involved, so two computers.  One is a PC, one is Mac.  Also, I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee if it can be avoided.  I'd like freeware, but good shareware will also be considered, especially if it is really nice.

I'd like to be able to see video and hear audio (hence, video conferencing).  But I also want to have some kind of whiteboard and/or a desktop sharing feature where I can open a screen or file on my computer and point to things with my mouse, and have my friend see all that on his computer.  A whiteboard would be nice if I want to sketch something out.  I have a Wacom tablet, so I'm already setup for the digital pen interface.

Again, I hate the cloud, monthly charge services, so I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

I've researched a little already, and the best solution I've seen so far is Skype.  I haven't tried it yet, maybe I'll try it tonight.  If anyone has it and would offer to let me try it out with them on the other end, I'd be thankful for that.  Mac/PC cross-platform is a must.  Simplicity is preferred, my friend is not a computer poweruser.

As usual, I'm not simply asking for what options are available.  I'm more interested in the ones that YOU prefer and hopefully you have had good experiences with.  I know how to use Google and search for things.  Please help point me down the right path.  Thanks, as always!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend video conferencing software/solutions.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I've used Skype to Video conference with both Windows and Mac users, all went well. It's idiot simple and passed my "If I have to open help to make a call you suck" test with flying colors.

Not sure what the (wife's) plan is for tonight, but if I'm free ... I'm game to play target.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:52 PM by Stoic Joker »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:08 PM »
I've used Skype to Video conference with both Windows and Mac users, all went well. It's idiot simple and passed my "If I have to open help to make a call you suck" test with flying colors.

Not sure what the (wife's) plan is for tonight, but if I'm free ... I'm game to play target.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.  I may late tonight...around 8pm (PST).  I'll PM you.  I appreciate it.  I need to get a webcam also.  I've just about settled on the Logitech 9000.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Logitech web cams and Windows 7 don't get along well from what I've read.

You might want to consider a Microsoft web cam.

Checking google comes up with lots of trouble regarding Logitech web cams.
With Windows 7 anyway.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Logitech web cams and Windows 7 don't get along well from what I've read.

You might want to consider a Microsoft web cam.

Checking google comes up with lots of trouble regarding Logitech web cams.
With Windows 7 anyway.
Hmmm...I don't use Windows 7, but I'll consider that.  I found a guy who reviews webcams online and he raved about the 9000.  And newegg and amazon all have pretty strong ratings for it.  Maybe I'll get it and then if I need to go to win7, i'll deal with it then.  I don't anticipate going to it anytime soon.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Hi everyone, one more thing I need:
A whiteboard I can draw on and share over the net.  It needs to be Mac AND Windows compatible.  I just tried idroo, which is nice, but I realized it's only for the PC.  Then, I also realized that it doesn't necessarily have to work with Skype.  It can be independant.  I'll talk through skype, but the whiteboard is entirely different.  Thanks.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:57 AM »
Looking closer the 9000 claims compatibility with w7.
Here's the info....

http://logitech-en-a...n&p_search_text=

A white board that is web based and another one as well.
Skype's whiteboard is cool to, it can be found in the 'extras'.

http://writeboard.com/

http://whiteboard.sourceforge.net/

gailfrank

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member