ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sleep/hibernate problems in Windows 7

<< < (2/3) > >>

m_s:
Thanks for these responses. A short while after posting, we got in touch with the vendor's support people, whose opening response was 'Well, hibernate and sleep just don't work very well with laptops.' I couldn't believe this!

They recommended, and I did, a full system restore, and found that it worked perfectly for a day or so, sleeping and hibernating at will. But then it stopped working - dying every time, as before. I'm now thinking that it might have been one of the HP software updates that introduced the problem...  About to try rollback using system restore, and will report back in a while...

mouser:
hibernate and sleep just don't work very well with laptops
--- End quote ---
that's just stupidity talking -- laptops are where this feature should work best and is most useful.  don't listen to them.

might have been one of the HP software updates that introduced the problem
--- End quote ---
could very well be.

m_s:
And whaddaya know?! Restored to the day after I did the full system restore, and it works perfectly again! So now running the necessary windows updates, and then will try to test whether it's any of these, or some HP system update that's causing the problem.

Stoic Joker:
hibernate and sleep just don't work very well with laptops
--- End quote ---
that's just stupidity talking -- laptops are where this feature should work best and is most useful.  don't listen to them.

might have been one of the HP software updates that introduced the problem
--- End quote ---
could very well be.
-mouser (August 05, 2010, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think this falls under the category of a self fulfilling prophecy - You put HP's software on anything and it will run like crap. Printer drivers especially will reek havoc on sleep/hibernation/the computer.

m_s:
Have now worked out that it seems to be a startup utility that messes things up - install it and the machine no longer sleeps, remove it and it sleeps like a baby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version