ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Tab Candy will change the way I use a browser for good

<< < (4/10) > >>

f0dder:
TMP was a bit clunky for me - can't remember what exactly it was, but I ended up uninstalling it. And (if I recall it's feature set correctly :)), it doesn't do the features of TabCandy that I'm really interested in - named grouping, only showing tabs associated with the currently active group, and the nice visual zoomable overview.

Cloq:
Hmm.. wonder how Tab Candy is going to handle pages with Flash activity. In my experience, Flash with Firefox, tend to have high cpu usage for whatever reason.

These days just about every other page has flash something or other embedded with it (think adverts for instance).

MrCrispy:
This is a nice concept. I like the idea of visual memory helping me locate stuff. But  -

1. I don't want to have to remember to file away every tab where it belongs
2. The folder metaphor is dead. I want a tab to belong in multiple buckets. I want tagging for tabs
3. I want the tags to be applied automatically, using my browser history, my surfing habits (kept only locally!!), and rules based on automatic metadata extraction.

Knowing Firefox, this will take a few builds (we're talking 6m-1yr here) to stabilize, then half the people will turn it off because it uses too much ram/cpu, then there will he 2 dozen copycat extensions. I really wish they make something like this a core browser feature with minimal resources.

daddydave:
It solves problems I personally have my own workarounds for:

If a tab is "distracting," I close it unless I'm going to read it this session (conveniently these have red italics - I think I have Tab Mix Plus doing this but I don't think it's required for this function)
If I want to read a tab sometime after this session, I use Read it Later.
If I want to open multiple tabs at one time, put multple bookmarks in a folder and middle click the folder.
If I want to  open tabs by clicking on a thumbnail, I use Speed Dial.

Furthermore, it re-creates the problem I had before discovering "Single Window Mode" in Tab Mix Plus, that of having to look at multiple windows to figure out which window contained a specific tab.

EDIT: Also in the shopping example they give in the video, a good solution for that is the way IE8 gives the tabs opened from the same source their own color automatically. This can be emulated in Firefox using the Vista-Aero theme, but I wish they would extract that functionality into a separate add-on so I could use it without making Firefox look like IE.

I may change my mind when I get around to testing it, I'm just not that motivated to install yet another build of Firefox to give this a try. The "tab dashboard" idea might get some use if I don't have to recreate it from session to session.

nudone:
just a bit of fun: you can get similar results using plugins already available, as daddydave said above.

if you like having lots of tabs open (or hidden) try TooManyTabs: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9429/ which will give you a double decker style tab bar. then you can move tabs up and down to arange/categorise them in a "visual" way.

or, try Speed Dial (as daddydave mentioned). here's a screengrab i've just done after messing about. you can't zoom with Speed Dial; i tried setting a dial to open another Speed Dial "group" but it didn't work. anyway, if you up the number of rows/columns and hide unused dials you'll get a similar look to Tab Candy.

p.s.
i'm pretty sure i saw something that nearly did the IE "colour tabs by relation to original tab" thing. it didn't have the other options you get from Tab Mix Plus so i removed it. nor did it work well alongside TMP - which i have colouring my tabs by current, read, unread (which i now think is actually better than the IE colouring method).
edit:
think i might have just been thinking of this instead, so not exactly like IE colours to be honest: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8004/

edit:
thought i'd also say, you can drag those dials around to change your grid layout. i'm now going to start using it instead of Tab Candy - why wait around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version