ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Windows Text Editor that transposes last 2 characters typed on Control-t ??

(1/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
Subject line says it.  I'm looking for a Free Windows Text Editor that transposes last 2 characters typed on Control-t ??  XEmacs is the only one I seem to remember that does it on Windows.  But I don't want to suffer through the rest of the learning curve.

Failing that maybe one where you can add a hotkey and custom command easily?
That's the most common typo for me and I can't believe it's not a standard feature like deleting a line.

edit: I know the editor in Visual Studio 2008 does it, but I don't want to wait 3 minutes for it to open.  Looking for something like EditPad Lite or NotePad++ but with Control-t transpose function.

AndyM:
Or you could write a short Autohotkey script that would fix your typo with a Control-t no matter where you were typing (eg the Quick Reply in a DonationCoder forum  ;)  )

MilesAhead:
Yeah, but then I'd have to decide if I should pass it through or eat the key.  Control T is a pretty common hotkey that's likely to do something else in an editor. I don't know why more editors don't have transpose.  Doesn't anyone touch type?

edit: plus I think the method would end up being pretty sloppy.  Send keys, copy to clipboard, etc.. which is likely to interfere with the clipboard likely to be in use by the editor. It would be smoother all around if the function was built in.

AndyM:
If transposing the last two letters of a word only happens in your text editor, then by all means write a Control-T macro for that editor.  I use Boxer and Word and it would be easy to write a macro for either.

But if it happens elsewhere, I'd still think about a system-wide macro.  If Control-t is too general, pick something more obscure (Shift-Ctrl-1, Ctrl-Alt-q).

If the cursor is already at the end of the word, seems like the code would be a simple SelectOneCharacterToLeft,Cut,CursorLeft,Paste - only four keys to send:  ShiftCursorLeft/Ctrl-x/CursorLeft/Ctrl-v .  This should work regardless of which clipboard is used (system or editor) if the editor uses Ctrl-x and Ctrl-v to cut and paste using it's internal clipboard (Boxer does this).

I take your point about bumping whatever was originally in the clipboard.  I use a clipboard manager with quick hotkeys to jump to an earlier clip.

AndyM:
Or if  you already have a text editor you like, write an autohotkey script that is only active when that editor has focus.  You'd still overwrite the current clipboard contents but you wouldn't have to worry about a Ctrl-t conflict.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version