ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

INDEX/CACHE vs REALTIME

(1/4) > >>

oxman:
Hello,

I know this is one of the most important and discussed topic of Faar.
But, how can we improve the speed of search and keeping a realtime behavior ?

I dunno but maybe some points of reflexion :
- index/cache system should be enable/disable by directory
- choose to only include or exclude pattern file name to reduce the size of index/cache
- try to find in index/cache first then into directory/realtime

For 80% of my usage, the realtime system is very good.
But for the 20% other is not. I've lots of subdirectory in some case, i need to set an infinite recursive deep.

But right now i've disable these directory which are in 20% of this case because unless i see the "searching" for something like 10 sec, i want something in < 100ms

I've an SSD hard drive, so a very quick hard drive .

mouser:
welcome to the site oxman  :up:

i agree with your two main points:
- index/cache system should be enable/disable by directory
- try to find in index/cache first then into directory/realtime
--- End quote ---

an optional cache like this is on my todo list.

one workaround some people use, is the "Everything" plugin for farr, which uses an indexed search when you request it:

* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=16582.0
* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=18724.0
i may try to finally get a built-in optional indexing system in place before the end of the year.

oxman:
Hum thanks, Everything is cool but indeed not exactly what I want :)

I hope you'll implement that :)

Nod5:
In addition to the everything plugins you can also use a FARR alias to quickly open a separate Everything window with a search phrase. I use two spaces at the end of a FARR searchphrase as regex pattern. Very handy as you can first search with FARR and, if what you're looking for isn't found in a second or two, just tap space space.

regular expression pattern box:
^(.*)\s\s$
Results box:
Everything Search: $$1 | dolaunch C:\Program files\Everything\Everything.exe -search "$$1"

(modify the path to fit your installation directory)

Armando:
In addition to the everything plugins you can also use a FARR alias to quickly open a separate Everything window with a search phrase. I use two spaces at the end of a FARR searchphrase as regex pattern. Very handy as you can first search with FARR and, if what you're looking for isn't found in a second or two, just tap space space.

regular expression pattern box:
^(.*)\s\s$
Results box:
Everything Search: $$1 | dolaunch C:\Program files\Everything\Everything.exe -search "$$1"

(modify the path to fit your installation directory)
-Nod5 (July 23, 2010, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very handy. Thanks Nod5!

(I use the TinyEverything Plugin. It works generally well but the problem is that French accentuated letters aren't displayed properly and I can't launch these entries. So, all in all, even if I'd prefer to have all results in the farr window (one reason is that it's so easy to copy the full path of an entry... ctrl-c), the everything UI works better at this point.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version