ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Whoa, this gal hates MS Office 2010 -- 5 Reasons Why You Don't Need It

<< < (8/10) > >>

Josh:
Tuxman: How are you going to tell me it will work for my intended purpose? I've used that extension for years and am fully aware of what it can and cannot do. Do you have some deeper insight into how I work or use t-bird? Anyways, I am done feeding the flame war that has once again started with your posting. Back on track for this topic.

Tuxman:
You said you were missing some hotkeys in the first place, so ...  :huh:

cyberdiva:
(I would really like to legally own a license for SoftMaker Office, but as I already do all my office stuff with OO.org, I still need a good reason for paying the price, although it seems to be well worth it.)
-Tuxman (July 25, 2010, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
When SoftMaker Office 2010 came out, the company actually gave away copies of SoftMaker Office 2008 for free.  I gather they're no longer doing that, but I took advantage of the offer.  That put me on their mailing list AND entitled me to "upgrade" pricing.  Earlier this month, I got a message offering an upgrade to SoftMaker Office 2010 for $34.95 minus a 15% discount to celebrate the World Cup.  So I was able to get an upgrade to SoftMaker Office 2010 for $29.71.  You might see whether you can still find a copy of 2008 for free or for very little and get on their mailing list.

app103:
So why should it make more sense in a web browser then?
-Tuxman (July 26, 2010, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because some of us have browsers that look like this:

Whoa, this gal hates MS Office 2010 -- 5 Reasons Why You Don't Need It

Yes, that's 3 rows of bookmarks and a scrollbar you see on my bookmarks toolbar. I would love to have a ribbon just for my bookmarks, if nothing else.

zridling:
Face it, some folks -- including me -- honestly do NOT like the ribbon. No amount of perfume is going to make that pig smell any better. The ribbon is:

* Cheesy (really, this is just bad design and Microsoft poured too much cash in it to admit it)
* A waste of space (I got better uses than a dead ribbon eating up screen space)
* Looks like a 1st grader designed it (see cheesy above)
* Its icons are unnecessarily HUGE (I'm not a retarded blind person)
* Keyboard shortcuts and self-designed start pages are more efficient and economical (simple is better)
No matter. I no longer pay for OS, nor would I pay for an office suite. Ninety-nine percent of my work is done using a text editor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version