ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Whoa, this gal hates MS Office 2010 -- 5 Reasons Why You Don't Need It

<< < (4/10) > >>

wraith808:
And there's always http://office.live.com.  I know there are some differences, but I don't think most users will need the full version.

Comparison to Google Docs

zridling:
Microsoft Key card:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2009/10/07/new-ways-to-try-and-buy-microsoft-office-2010.aspx

Office 2010 is preloaded by PC manufacturers on their PCs. You buy a key card that unlocks the license to it for that machine only. No license portability, just works on one machine only.

Cloq:
I am actually using office XP. Loads extremely quick on a quad core 8GB ram.

It's perfect for my needs. Frankly, I don't even use 1/10th of all the "features" office xp has.

I managed to snag it at a garage sale for $5 shrink wrapped box and all.

Carol Haynes:
I'm using Office 2010 (part of a MAPs subscription) and I like it. I prefer Outlook 2010 to 2007 and earlier (though it takes a while to find things)!

My only minor niggles are addon related (I use MathType and they want payment for an upgrade from version 6.6 to 6.7 to an addon that works fine in 2007 - which is plain stupid but not Microsoft's fault).

Regarding no upgrades I suppose my first reaction was yikes but in practice the vast majority of people will be unaffected as they wither use the Home and Student/Academic version (which has never had an upgrade pricing) or else have business license packages which means they get updates without further payment.

The small group of people who will be affected are small businesses that buy 2 or 3 copies but even then the new prices for 2010 editions are actually almost the same as the upgrade prices for 2007 editions so effectively prices have been reduced by moving prices to the upgrade level. I am not naive enough to underestimate the price rises planned - doubtless the next versions will see a substantial price hike to redress the balance.

The key card system is just plain daft - who is going to pay the same for a single license locking you to one computer when you can buy a three license non-restricted version? I suppose MS are working on the Symantec and MacAfee law of inertia rule!

Tuxman:
I went away from MS Office after Office 2003 when seeing the first screenshots of the ribbon bar. Proudly using OpenOffice.org, and while it has its own rough edges, it is still free.  :-*
(I would really like to legally own a license for SoftMaker Office, but as I already do all my office stuff with OO.org, I still need a good reason for paying the price, although it seems to be well worth it.)

Office 2010 might be a mighty, well-integrated office suite for us "recent Windows" users. But it totally lacks unique advantages. (There is not even a way to hide that crappy bar! And the "oh well, let's do a ribbon UI" attitude seems to me like a virus, yesterday I found a simple text editor (!) with these bars... geez.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version