ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Whoa, this gal hates MS Office 2010 -- 5 Reasons Why You Don't Need It

<< < (6/10) > >>

Tuxman:
Given that most people these days have largish screens
-Carol Haynes (July 26, 2010, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, but widescreen, not highscreen, so the whole ribbon thingy is quite anachronistic.

Josh:
Tux, why do I get the feeling you are being oppositional just for the sake of being oppositional? Even more so since this is a Microsoft product?  What exactly does "High screen" mean? You complained that the ribbon could not be minimized, yet we showed you it could (Also indicating you never actually TRIED). You complained it took up quite a bit of real estate, however when compared to OOo it takes up far less once the ribbon autohides. Could it be that you are just against change or really dislike Microsoft? I am not a fanboy of any specific product-line, but I am not afraid to defend a company when it deserves it.

Tuxman:
Even more so since this is a Microsoft product?-Josh (July 26, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
I am, have always been and will surely be for some more time a proud Windows user. What the heck are you talking about?

What exactly does "High screen" mean?-Josh (July 26, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
4:3, not 16:9.

Could it be that you are just against change or really dislike Microsoft?-Josh (July 26, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
See above. And all that "ribbon" stuff is more like an eye-catcher than of any real advantage for the daily use.
So you really like these bars, even if they require everyone to learn the whole office suite (which had been working the same way for one and a half decade!) from scratch?

Well, let's make up another example.

Can you tell me why it is of any practival use to have a simple text editor with a ribbon interface? It just doesn't make any sense!

In my very own opinion it is eye-candy and a waste of space, nothing more.

Josh:
Who has to learn office from scratch? My entire organization, and in fact the entire US Army, uses Office 2007 and I rarely hear anyone complain about the suite (And believe me, I hear complaints about all facets of computing given that I spend most of my time doing desktop support).

If your goal is a simple text editor then I consider EVEN OOo to be overkill. I've watched my users become far more productive using Office 2007. One user in particular, who was always asking "Where do I find this" or "How do I do this", no longer asks these questions. Everything is presented to him and the appropriate ribbon tab is selected based on what he is trying to do (If he is working in a table, the tables tab is selected, etc).

I ask again, how long did you give the ribbon a try before dumping it? I hear a lot of users that bad mouth it do so only because they either A. Never used it or B. Used it for 5 minutes and said "This isn't a menu! WTF!".

Tuxman:
I gave it several tries in several applications.

The point is: You'll have to switch the bars for various actions. But I rarely work with only one section of an application's functionality, so I waste too much time switching between the bars. Yes, it is more obvious what is where; but the things you really need are not visible at the same time.

Even when using Photoshop/GIMP, I prefer to have as many windows as possible on my screen.
In order to avoid unnecessary time loss while switching between them, you know?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version