ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Seeking old (98SE?) LAN aware Post-It clone ...

(1/2) > >>

barney:
Folk,

Back around Win98/SE, there was a handy little app that was a network-aware Post-It note clone.  'Twas lost many crashes/upgrades agone, but I'd certainly like to find whether it still exists.

After I showed it to a compatriot in the Field Engineering department, it became somewhat of a mailbomb tool, as it would send notes to any registered network address, even if that address was currently off line.  Very handy, but also very frustrating if, when you logged onto the LAN, you suddenly received fifty (50) message windows   :'(  ;D.

Dunno if it still exists on the Web, nor whether it would run with Win7, but I'd surely like to find it again.

If memory serves,

* it would store notes locally (history)
* it would send notes to a specified LAN user regardless of that user's online status (delayed delivery)
* it would allow near-IM communication (quick)
* it was a low-resource resident app residing in the System Tray (now the Notification Area  :huh:).
I'm in a situation where such - the discrete history, in particular - would be extremely convenient:  much faster than email, but same history record could be maintained.

Anybody recall seeing it, perhaps recall a name? 

rjbull:
Maybe Magic Notes, shareware?

Somebody may mention Zhorn Software's freeware Stickies, but I could never get it to work on Win98SE, despite the author's help.  Something to do with the JET database I think.

barney:
Sorry, I may have mislead with the 98SE thing.  Intend to run in on Win7, maybe XP SP3 or a Linux distro with WinE or Virtual Box.  Just used the 98 reference to put a time frame for when it was first discovered.

Not wild about the way Stickies handles net stuff, although it works great for document notes - Web pages, scripts, and the like - since a note can be attached such that it only shows when that document is being displayed.

I'll take a look at Magic Notes - a bit pricey, methinks, but worth it if it'll do what's needed.  Don't think it's the one I [don't] remember, but didn't much expect to find that one still extant, anyway  :o.

Thanks for the reference  :Thmbsup:.

cranioscopical:
I can't recall what the forerunner was to Notezilla, but have you looked into it?
Here's the link to its network ability

barney:
Thanks.  Yeah, but Notezilla is much too dear for this purpose.  Even if Stickies networkability doesn't really impress me, it is - drumroll - free.

On the other hand, given a commercial environment, Notezilla has some definite pluses  ;D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version