ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to [partially] blur screenshots?

(1/4) > >>

barney:
Folk,

I've seen this many a time, but was never curious 'bout how 'twas done.  Now I need to do it  :o.

You've probably seen screenshots of some app with some or all of the text content blurred, illegible.  Sometimes all of the text, sometimes all but one or two particular lines.

Currently there is a need to do this w/o resorting to GIMP or Paint.Net or the like - I hope!.  Need to take some screenshots of an application that would display information that need not be seen by others, but could display clearly certain elements of the application.  In some cases, I'll need to obscure parts of the text, but leave other parts clear and readable.

There must be some tool to accomplish this, but I wouldn't begin to know how to search for it.  Ideally, this capability would be part of a screen capture application, but a third-party tool would be acceptable as long as it's reasonably fast and simple, i.e. faster than using GIMP :-\.

Example:

* I want to show toolbar configuration for an email client.  So I want to be able to accentuate the toolbar, but obscure the emails listed in the client screen capture. 
* Or, I might want to display a page of code with all the code obscured except the code relevant to a discussion/tutorial.The idea is that only the specific elements under discussion are clearly visible.
Can anyone point to such a tool?  (Recently downloaded Screen Captor:  have not seen that capability available, but have not fully explored its capabilities.)

Deozaan:
Use Mouser's Screenshot Captor.

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/index.html

app103:
You mean like this?

Mouser's Screenshot Captor does this quite nicely.

Just select a region and use the buttons on the right toolbar:

barney:
Whoops!

Just came back to say that I'd found the blur capabilities of Screenshot Captor, and found two (2) references to it  ;D.

Found it last night, but got so busy playing with it I didn't get back here in time to say, "Never mind, mouser's tool does it."  :Thmbsup:

Thanks, folk.

f0dder:
Keep in mind that you should not use blurring for really sensitive information - while it's not possible to revert the effects of a blur, and attacker can brute-force-blur and get the information he wants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version