topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Change of Licensing from Version 2 (Cancelled)  (Read 68431 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Change of Licensing from Version 2 (Cancelled)
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2010, 05:55 PM »
^Well, that's some progress at least.  :Thmbsup:

I'll be in touch. 

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2010, 12:38 AM »
40hz: keep the following in mind:
If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
    No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21 AM »
@fodder: Absolutely true. That's the thing that comes as a surprise to many. But the point I was trying to make was that you aren't required to work for nothing just because you use GPL.

And again, there's nothing that says you can't put your download area behind some sort of paywall. Not as effective as one of those paid "license key" arrangements (which you can't do under GPL) but it should secure some revenue stream. Or at least it should until your app hits somebody else's server. Or the torrents...

Musicians and writers live with that reality every day - and the message they're getting back from the general public seems to be: Get over it!

In the end, the people that are willing to pay (or otherwise contribute) will do so. And those people that don't simply won't. No surprises there.

I'm not going to harp on the issue of what's legal (or moral) and what's not. The jury is out on that one; the public is divided; our governments seem to be absolutely usless on the issue; and the media industry is it's own worse enemy when it comes to IP.

But one thing Is certain: the age of digital "everything" and the web has been an absolute bonanza for all the selfish and ungrateful individuals out there. Barely a day goes by without them reminding us of all the ways we can make their lives better for them at our own personal expense.

Guess that's just "business as usual" when you're forced to work with primates.
 :)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:25 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2010, 10:13 AM »
The sad thing about this whole mess is that CD took a lot of time and effort to get it from the original source version- so much so that not much was left of it.  But from the closing of the threads, I don't take that as a good sign that it will continue...  :(

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2010, 11:20 AM »
The sad thing about this whole mess is that CD took a lot of time and effort to get it from the original source version- so much so that not much was left of it.  But from the closing of the threads, I don't take that as a good sign that it will continue...  :(

See here.