ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Change of Licensing from Version 2 (Cancelled)

<< < (13/21) > >>

scancode:
Also, can't you do the app as a shareware/paid for/whatever and still release the source? Those who don't want to pay or want to modify it can compile the source, the rest can use the binaries [a la xchat]?

40hz:
FWIW there is nothing in the GPL that requires that compiled binaries be provided free of charge. There are several GPL'd products (and some Linux distros) that charge for their binaries  in order to offset expenses (or possibly even make some money) without violating the letter (or the spirit) of the GPL. So long as some provision has been made to supply source code to whoever requests it you're generally in compliance. 

And while there will always be a certain few who will scream about charging for GPL-anything, nobody who actually understands what GPL is about would have any problem with that.

scancode:
FWIW there is nothing in the GPL that requires that compiled binaries be provided free of charge. There are several GPL'd products (and some Linux distros) that charge for their binaries  in order to offset expenses (or possibly even make some money) without violating the letter (or the spirit) of the GPL so long as some provision has been made to supply source code to whoever requests it.

And while there will always be a certain few who will scream about charging for GPL-anything, nobody who actually understands what GPL is about would have any problem with it.

-40hz (August 05, 2010, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

That'd be the best solution for this in my book :P

sgtevmckay:
Also, can't you do the app as a shareware/paid for/whatever and still release the source? Those who don't want to pay or want to modify it can compile the source, the rest can use the binaries [a la xchat]?

-scancode (August 05, 2010, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

We seriously considered this for some time, and only the sales of primary support, modification, and requested features.
This was absolutely derailed by two events.
1.) We have found multiple instances of Programs that are either slightly modified versions, or exact versions of Circle Dock and Eric Wong's code. These versions are not made open source, even after approaching the "Programmers" in question, and in most cases there were attached fees for the software. In some cases Up to $50 -/+ USD
2.) Shortly after the release of v.1 and before I could get the source code up on the wikidot site. Markham and I were sent e-mails requesting the source code immediately. This individual was brilliant enough to use the e-mail for his Program for sale, which turned out to be Circle Dock under a different name. This individual not only retained a close source code, but openly admitted that is was "My Modified version of Circle Dock"

Markham and I immediately launched into some home work, and we have actually found several instances of this happening.
Although we approached these "Vendors" in an attempt to make them comply with the conditions of the copyright/left License, I was ignored at best and given terse communications at worst.
Apparently only Eric Wong can take action against a violation of his Copyright and license. Many of these individuals feel that Eric will never return, and so have proceeded to do as they will.
Some of these are now using Markhams code in their releases.

In recent considerations, we have discussed the best marketable solution and a solution that would protect Markham's intellectual rights as well as Eric's.
Unfortunately no matter how we hatch it, it all comes back to a closed source solution.
Many of Markham's solutions and code is very inventive and deserves to be protected in any way he see's fit.
That is my opinion.

That being said; now let's wait for the obvious question/comment.......

sgtevmckay:
FWIW there is nothing in the GPL that requires that compiled binaries be provided free of charge. There are several GPL'd products (and some Linux distros) that charge for their binaries  in order to offset expenses (or possibly even make some money) without violating the letter (or the spirit) of the GPL. So long as some provision has been made to supply source code to whoever requests it you're generally in compliance.  

And while there will always be a certain few who will scream about charging for GPL-anything, nobody who actually understands what GPL is about would have any problem with that.  
-40hz (August 05, 2010, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds incredibly appealing, to me anyways, But I found nothing in the license that would support this. I need to go back and re-read again :(

I do not feel that I misquoted anything from Eric's original license agreement ???   :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version