ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Change of Licensing from Version 2 (Cancelled)

<< < (10/21) > >>

cranioscopical:
Markham,

From what you have said, and taking a pragmatic view, it seems to me that you have only two choices.
Either charge a price for (your amended) CD that will cover your costs or close it down.

Personally, I'd favour the former, at least as an experiment. Would charging for CD really yield sufficient income to offset your costs? Can you be certain even of that?

It's irksome to find oneself embroiled in what seems a thankless task — I think many of us here have had that experience. Were it only that, the probable answer would be a change of attitude (and by that I intend no offence, simply the old 'if you can't change the circumstances, change your attitude' approach that helps keep many of us sane). Given that you are not covering your costs, however, it seems that you are faced with funding the project. In that case I'd say — speaking confidently from a base of complete ignorance — given your apparent desire to continue, go ahead and charge for it. Of course that depends on whether you're ready to withstand any license hassles that might surface; if so, full-ahead and damn the torpedoes.

daddydave:
If I take a dead GPL'd project, and use that source and project as an inspiration to build the same project, but with my own source, is my project now GPL'd?  I don't think so...
-wraith808 (August 05, 2010, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

You know, I thought I had read that the source had been completely rewritten, but I couldn't find it, so wondered if I had imagined it. If so, surely that makes a difference, does it not? But then again, I must have imagined it, otherwise it surely would have been mentioned in this thread before now.

Otherwise I have embargoed myself from talking about GPL because after all these years I am still confused about it.

phitsc:
Personally, I'd favour the former, at least as an experiment. Would charging for CD really yield sufficient income to offset your costs? Can you be certain even of that?
-cranioscopical (August 05, 2010, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been asking myself the same thing. We've had the discussion elsewhere on these forums. Unfortunately, download counts say little about how many people actually use the SW, and even less about how many would be willing to pay for it were it not free. Actually, being free is a great incentive to just download it and try it out.

Obviously, you won't know if it can generate enough revenue to cover the costs (or even generate some income) until you've tried.

sgtevmckay:
while it does sadden me that this program will leave open source, I must say who am I to say that you don't deserve some sort of profit from this program.
after all these costs do need covering  :-[

so all I can say is I now stand by your decision....

thanks to all that have developed and improved CD,
Archon of Fate
-Archon of Fate (August 05, 2010, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please; no one start kicking themselves here  :o

Archon; you have been one of our biggest new comer supporters. I would have tossed you, and several others, some free licenses anyways  :Thmbsup:

There is nothing to be ashamed of in all of this, just a learning experience.
For all of us, myself included  :-[
Many times, we consider our wants without considering the potential costs, and not only do we get stuck in this habit, it becomes second nature, even I am guilty of this on a daily basis  :-[

Be comforted my friend.
No one person is the problem unto themselves  :Thmbsup:
Even I have learned an incredibly valuable lesson in all of this  :-*

sgtevmckay:
Markham,

From what you have said, and taking a pragmatic view, it seems to me that you have only two choices.
Either charge a price for (your amended) CD that will cover your costs or close it down.

It's irksome to find oneself embroiled in what seems a thankless task — I think many of us here have had that experience. Were it only that, the probable answer would be a change of attitude (and by that I intend no offence, simply the old 'if you can't change the circumstances, change your attitude' approach that helps keep many of us sane). Given that you are not covering your costs, however, it seems that you are faced with funding the project. In that case I'd say — speaking confidently from a base of complete ignorance — given your apparent desire to continue, go ahead and charge for it. Of course that depends on whether you're ready to withstand any license hassles that might surface; if so, full-ahead and damn the torpedoes.
-cranioscopical (August 05, 2010, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

We have no idea either, But we will not know if we do not try  :Thmbsup:
It would be better to try and fail. This way we learn and expand.
Even if we try and succeed, then we learn as well.
Either way, we are all better for it, and I will be glad to document the journey right here at DC  :Thmbsup:

At the moment this is the route that we are leaning towards.
I have some business education and background, unfortunately Circle Dock is Global and not local, so many of the "Market Study" concept are not applicable. In this model, we will have to go live and have time to build.
Our recent efforts of collaboration With Dexpot (who already has a proven business license model) is a great step for us, and may be Circle Dock's (or what ever a future name may be) foot in the door.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version