ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GlassPrompt 1.1

<< < (3/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
Ah I see, kinda impressive for FreeBasic assuming that 9kb includes the interpreter.

If should you want small size and standalone-ness look into using a smaller custom CRT, for example Tiny C Runtime Library.
-Eóin (September 04, 2010, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, the FreeBasic is a front end for gcc.  Actually is uses gas assembler, which is why the stuff comes out so small.  I'm not fixated on small.  I just wanted to produce some stand-alone exe and brush back up on c++.  ahk and AutoIt3 are fine, but sometimes I just want to spit out some real machine code. :)

I haven't really messed around with vc++ since 6.0.  So the vs2008 is new to me. Just for grins I changed the min platform setting to 5 and made a Hello World! messagebox app, just to see if it would run on xp.  The glass program craps out as soon as it doesn't see dwmapi.dll since I didn't do the LoadLibrary bit as in the FreeBasic version.  But the glass thing is useless on XP anyway. :)

I definitely didn't put any .NET 3.0 stuff on XP, so the fact that it did the messagebox bit tells me it's stand-alone .exe. I was just surprised MS compiler spit out something so small.  Granted it just calls functions in dlls, but even so, I expected more bloat. :)

Eóin:
I hadn't realised FreeBasic compiled to native code, should have checked that up.

On an aside, a more elegant solution to LoadLibrary is Delay-Loaded DLLs. So once you've confirmed you're on Vista+ you can use the Dwm* functions freely. On XP the app will still run, so long as you don't call the unsupported functions.

MilesAhead:
Yeah, I was looking at that.  Didn't see the library that was supposed to be in the link list for automatic handling, on my system.  Are you sure the feature is in Express editions of vs2008?

edit: nevermind.  Got it.  Must have been looking at the page for 2005 where you had to add it manually.  Seems good. I'll know next time I boot XP and try it.

MilesAhead:
btw the FreeBasic is a fun compiler for that reason. Small, tight exes. I just wish it had an out and out RAD gui tool instead of message loop and window proc code.  The gui designers are all user-supplied volunteer efforts.  Still, it is great for small utilities. A nice example of what can be done with gcc on Windows. It has a lot of header files similar to C type languages, to make API calls easier.  Also has classes.  Unfortunately does not implement inheritance though.

f0dder:
If you want small C++ exes, check out http://ibsensoftware.com/download.html - Jibz recently upgraded WCRT to have VS2010 support :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version