topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for PC game service - does this exist?  (Read 3673 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for PC game service - does this exist?
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:19 PM »
I am looking for a game service similar to gamefly except for PC Games similar to those found at www.bigfishgames.com and www.popcapgames.com. Basically, a service which allows you access to a library of PC games you can play as long as you subscribe to the service. Paying 5.99-14.99 per game gets rather expensive. Has anyone seen such a service?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for PC game service - does this exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Try http://www.gamehouse.com/

Specifically their FunPass membership thingy:

http://www.gamehouse.com/memberships
http://www.gamehouse...rships/funpass/trial

EDIT: I guess I should make it clear that I haven't used gamehouse myself. So this isn't a recommendation for them. It's just a "I found something that might fit your description." YMMV.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:15 PM by Deozaan »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:41 PM »
there is also GameTap, which i believe works along the line that you wanted. i too have never tried this service before..

What you get:

• Play as the game finishes downloading
    • At least one new game added weekly to Premium Pack
    • A community of players to mix with
    • Integrated parental controls
    • Prize Arcade events every week
    • Cancel anytime
-website

gametap_offers_19_07_2010_001.png
http://www.gametap.com/

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:34 PM »
I used Gametap for a couple of months a few summers ago.  All in all, it kept me entertained for a while and didn't cost too much money.  Downloading games over their service was painfully slow, however.  A 1 GB game would take all day to download through them.  I can download the same from a fast webserver in 10 minutes.  Also, quite a few of their games did not work on Vista, even though retail versions of the same games had be patched by the developers to work fine.  For the games that did work with Vista, and after the long download, I spent many hours playing a ton of games.

I stopped subscribing before their current tiers of service, so I can't comment on what you get for what you pay anymore.  When I did cancel, they emailed me and offered me a free month if I stuck around.  After that free month, I cancelled again, and they emailed me to offer me a 50% off month.  School was back in session, so I declined.

C

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:59 PM »
GameTap! I was going to suggest that but for the life of my I couldn't remember the name of it! My Google searches trying to find GameTap came up with that gamehouse website.

I, too, tried GameTap, but only the free mode, several years ago. The free games were kind of limited, but they did have Psychonauts for free for a while (which unfortunately didn't work very well on my PC at the time).

So, yeah, I've used GameTap but I can't really recommend it one way or another since I never actually was a subscriber.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:01 AM by Deozaan »