Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 10:26:20 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alien Swarm - another free game from Valve  (Read 7336 times)
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:54:09 AM »

Valve is getting quite generous these days. Alien Swarm can be downloaded for free from Monday onwards. (July 19, 2010). not sure if this is time-limited or indefinitely free.

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.

• Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
• Complete game code and mod tools
• Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
• Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
• 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
• Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
• 64 achievements
• Tile-based map generation tool
• Powered by Source and Steam

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owusWzSppyw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owusWzSppyw</a>

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »

Cool. I played this as an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod back in the day and have been anxiously awaiting when the Source mod would be released. The project looked dead for a long time (last update was 2007) but I just checked on it in the past week or two and as of May 2010 it said something cool would happen soon. I didn't know it would be released, and free! Thmbsup
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:35:47 AM by Deozaan » Logged

p3lb0x
Supporting Member

Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:00:22 AM »

Fuck yes, I am totally looking forward to this. I saw news of the mod back in the day but got kinda turned off from it because I thought it would cost money. I too played the original mod but it didn't offer enough to actually make me want to buy the game. There just wasn't enough depth to it. But with the release of it as a free game, I'll totally be playing this. Any one up for a game when it launches?

Stop mousering people so much - Mouser
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »

But with the release of it as a free game, I'll totally be playing this. Any one up for a game when it launches?

yes, with this being a free game, we can organize a DoCo game! Thmbsup

btw, the release date was pushed back one day.. cue Valve time. tongue

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »

btw, the release date was pushed back one day.. cue Valve time. tongue

Still shows the same time (about 14 hours from now) on the app page for me...

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »

Game page gives me the option to install now, but I keep getting "Steam servers are too busy" error messages.

EDIT: I finally got it to prepare all the files, and it is downloading now. Thmbsup
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:11:04 PM by Deozaan » Logged

p3lb0x
Supporting Member

Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:36 PM »

It's very polished and has considerably more tactical depth than I anticipated. But it might just feel that way because I have to babysit all the other 3 teammates I played with. They kinda sucked (I am looking at you Krishean and Shamurai).

Stop mousering people so much - Mouser
joel2007
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »

Link
Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »

Thanks for the link, though already posted smiley

http://www.donationcoder....p?topic=23454.0;topicseen

joel2007
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »

Sorry, I didn't see it. Can it be merged?
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »

Steam servers are absolutely knackered, at least this side of the world.. still downloading.. Sad

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

Let a mod worry about it if they want to smiley

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »

if anyone wants to get together for some alien hunting, join the DoCo Steam group..

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DonationCoder

y0himba
Charter Member

Yar.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »

It is invite only. Sad  Someone invite me?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/y0himba

By the way, the game is incredible, simple fun.  Hard to believe it is free.  Thmbsup
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:00:57 AM by y0himba » Logged

My Web Site:  http://www.y0himba.net
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:16:08 AM »

Had a lot of fun tonight finishing the campaign on Normal difficulty with mouser, Krishean, and Mizraim!

It was awesome!

Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »

Had a lot of fun tonight finishing the campaign on Normal difficulty with mouser, Krishean, and Mizraim!

Wah! No fair! I want in to DoCO Steam... please smiley
User = AmpaSteam
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »

Wah! No fair! I want in to DoCO Steam... please
User = AmpaSteam

no worries, i've sent an invite.. smiley

kamahl
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »

Steam username: Silasary
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 09:19:12 AM »

Steam username: Silasary

sorry just saw this, the invite is on its way.. smiley

Rocketboy
Participant

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »

Forget free on PC, I'd happily pay for this to be on XBox Live or PSN!
LiquidGravity
Participant

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »

Can I get an invite to the group please?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/liqgravity

Also any coders interested in joining my total conversion mod for Alien Swarm?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.16 ]