topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea: type into an application that is not at the top  (Read 4843 times)

rick fleischer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: type into an application that is not at the top
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:20 AM »
Similar to the 1-hour app that lets you drag a window without activating it and bringing it to the top, this would allow you to interact with the GUI of an application without bringing it to the top.  For instance, if you were taking notes from a large graphical window, you could do so without having to switch back and forth between, say, notes and the large graphical window you are studying.  (And if it sounds like I have suffered through this exercise, that would be because I have.)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: type into an application that is not at the top
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:50 AM »
At first, this didn't make much sense to me, until I realized I was doing it as I write this.  This would be really nice.  Keep an app in the background, but be able to interact with certain controls.  :Thmbsup:

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:01 AM »
I'd guess perhaps that setting the large window to always on top would achieve the same effect, and such a solution I'm sure is already out there.

Just a thought.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:42 AM »
The problem with this, for me at least, is that it then hides the small window that I am referencing. Thusfar my only solution has been to make the windows smaller which brings it's own set of problems - usually with toolbars that can't be turned off.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:13 PM »
On my system I have 'Katmouse' running for years now. Above whichever window my mouse pointer is hovering, that is the window that I control with the mouse. It does not steal the focus from the active window.

I find it gives me a huge productivity gain when comparing lists (typing in one window while scrolling through the other.

A really nice piece of freeware.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Agreed.  KatMouse and AllSnap are two apps that I IMMEDIATELY install on any Windows box I use.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:56 AM »
That sounds nice for comparisons like that, but usually I am typing a note and the copy I am typing from disappears as the app I type into steals focus.  KatMouse prevents this from the mouse, but not from the keyboard (at least from my understanding - I have not tried it yet since I can't install it on my PC at work). 

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Maybe these posts IDEA: Allow input commands to be sent to background windows. and

IDEA: Ability to select multiple windows and send keyboard input to all of them will help.  I thought the topic sounded familiar. :)

Let me and others know if/ when the problem is solved for you -or if the links helped.
-------------------------------------------

Question everything, use a fact-checker.
Respect yourself and respect others.
Peace out!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:14 PM by SleepingWolf »