ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Some initial reflections on using an ebook reader

<< < (3/8) > >>

Deozaan:
In fact i'll go further: if you have a child you want to expose to fine literature, a wonderful gift might be to get one of these now cheap kindles, and fill it with public domain literature classics.  And it's one of the few technological devices that can't be used to waste time and rot their brains.-mouser (July 15, 2010, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Nook already can play games.

And you can loan eBooks to friends. And if you go into a B&N you can read ANY book on your Nook (when you leave the store the book(s) will disappear).

Sounds like the Nook is a clear winner. Except for those pesky games. ;)

mouser:
And if you go into a B&N you can read ANY book on your Nook
--- End quote ---

!!!! that sounds amazing.

Deozaan:
And if you go into a B&N you can read ANY book on your Nook
--- End quote ---
!!!! that sounds amazing.
-mouser (July 16, 2010, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, that's assuming it's even available on the Nook in the first place. As I understand it, the Kindle still has the upper hand when it comes to selection.

Darwin:
Love my Aluratek Libre - and it'[s dropped almost 30% in price since I bought mine - $129 Cdn. at the moment. I use it solely for novels and it's re-kindled ( :P) my passion for reading. I'm waiting for colour e-ink/e-paper to come out before I get a bigger format reader. I expect that a large screen, long battery life, and colour will make reading textbooks and other reference/academic material a dream... I'm also looking forward to reading the newspaper that way, too...  :Thmbsup:

allen:
The Nook already can play games.

And you can loan eBooks to friends. And if you go into a B&N you can read ANY book on your Nook (when you leave the store the book(s) will disappear).

Sounds like the Nook is a clear winner. Except for those pesky games. ;)
-Deozaan (July 16, 2010, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a clear winner -- there's a one hour per visit limit on reading a nook book in B&N. If you want to go to B&N for free reading, skip the Nook and forgo the hour reading limit and just read the paper books.  Friend loaning is also limited, as I understand it, in that you can only loan out a book once for 14 days.  Not once at a time, but once period. Granted, that's 14 days more lending time than you get with the Kindle, but... hardly compelling.

Whether or not there is a clear winner between the Nook, Kindle or any other reader is another thread altogether, though.  Sony, Nook, Kindle, I'd take any of them over a paper book. Ereaders are my favorite tech this decade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version