topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Zonal OCR Image  (Read 3386 times)

mariovermeulen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Zonal OCR Image
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:04 AM »
I have been trying to figure out what the easiest yet efficient method is to zonal ocr a image and whenever a similar image comes along to then ocr the same region.

For those who do not know what Zonal ocr is here a small explanation on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zonal_OCR.

i don't know if this is the correct forum for this but hey "Not asking means 100% No"  :D so guys can anyone help me  :-\ .

thanks Mario

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Zonal OCR Image
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:58 AM »
i know some people here on dc do quite a bit of OCR, and i think it may be that even this specific question got asked in the past. would be interesting to hear what they say.  my screenshot taking program (Screenshot Captor) has support for scanning, and it can be told to only grab a particular region of the screen or scanner bed, and run external tools after capturing, so that might come close, but it does seem like this would be something that calls for a dedicated program.

do the dedicated OCR applications not have something like this?  what's missing from the existing applications?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Zonal OCR Image
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I know from my experience there are a few that have this capability, but I have yet to find any that are even somewhat accurate.  They all seem to have difficulty defining the zone accurately in particular.  Some of the best were recommended to me here at DC, but even then they were not good enough for my usage.  YMMV.  The best one that was suggested to me is:  Abby FineReader.