topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Texting on the rise  (Read 14301 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Texting on the rise
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I treated myself :) to a HTC HD2 about a year ago and I've been using the Swype keyboard on it. It's a really cool way to type on a touchscreen.
Wow, missed out on this thread -

Swype is AWESOME!  I got it fully installed when I got my Galaxy S phone (it came with it).  Mastered it in seconds (and I am one who likes tactile feedback keyboards over onscreen keyboards too).  Unfortunately, there were too many other issues with that phone for me to keep it and I switched to the iPhone.  Swype is one thing I REALLY miss on my iPhone.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:33 AM by steeladept »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 01:05 PM »
One of my problems with texting is the single ring. The phone beeps once, then that's it. If you're in a subway, or on a busy street, you're not going to hear it. Unless you are already an addict, you're unlikely to see the SMS for some time.
-Renegade
My phone (and the last few phones I've had for a lot of years) have supported ringtones for incoming SMS - and yes, including MP3 support. Pretty nice having the "Oh wah-ha-ha-ha" from Disturbed's "Down With The Sickness" as sms-tone, and Dimmu Borgir's "Sympozium" for morning-alarmclock & ring-tone - I don't miss a call ;)

You're more likely to go to voicemail and still not know whether they got the message :D
-4wd
+1 - I usually forget everything about voicemail messages, and might not hear them for several weeks; I should figure out how to disable the damn thing :)

But is the "Received Report" based on the carrier receiving it (server) or the person's phone receiving it (client)? For email, it's the server.
-Renegade
Delivery reports are handled by the phone - which means you'll sometimes know when people get out of bed and turn on their phone :p

It is sent directly from the recipitants phone (client), and I am unsure whether phone companies outside the UK support these options.
-Stephen66515
Delivery reports and read-confirmation are supported in .dk as well - and yeah, read-confirmation has to be handled by the recipient phone, and fortunately the phone I've owned that supported it had an option not to send them.

Btw, depending on your carrier, it delivery reports might cost per report - afaik only the person requesting the delivery report will be billed, though, and for the providers I've had delivery reports were free. Iirc p3lb0x's carrier charged, though, which came as somewhat of a surprise - and bill :P
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 02:49 PM »
"Oh wah-ha-ha-ha" from Disturbed's "Down With The Sickness" as sms-tone

Fantastic, though the bit towards the end: "No mommy, don't do it again..." would have been a great way to turn heads in public :D

Regarding read reports? I don't think it's a feature here in Ireland, but on any phone I've had, I seen the option only for MMS messages, not SMS. Does it work for regular SMS messages in other countries?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Read-reports work for SMS here in .dk. A past girlfriend had it enabled constantly, and my phone at the time didn't have a global-off option for it... that was pretttttty darn annoying :)
- carpe noctem

mark1959

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18 AM »
Texting seems utterly embeddedin the culture for anyone under 30 in the uk.

Can't remember the last time I saw a teenager who wasn't texting.

recently I took someone on in a job role and, during their induction ... they were texting!!!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 10:06 AM »
recently I took someone on in a job role and, during their induction ... they were texting!!!
O_o
- carpe noctem