ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should Apple recall the iPhone4? Or should the user "Hold the phone the right"?

<< < (6/9) > >>

wraith808:
I totally agree that Jobs' comparisons were a bad idea, as was his whole persona during the conference.  I think that the words said in regards to solving the issue were good:

He said they will waive re-stocking fees on the iPhone, it seems like they're giving an out. 
He also said that for those who choose to keep it (or still buy it), they're giving the bumpers which solve the problem.

I'd hazard a guess that we'll see a refresh before they manufacture more, but are also trying to get the ones that are in the chain sold as they do.  But the original question was should they do a recall.  They didn't...  does anyone think they still should given that this is not a safety concern and they did address consumers of the product?

Mark0:
I'm not sure...
But there's something that definitely sounded a bit incorrect in their doings.
They never presented any kind of bumper / case along side a new phone, so that point to them having knowledge of the problem and trying to rub it off. Also, there's no way they couldn't have expect that a naked, exposed antenna could bear problems like those.

I think the obvious way to keep up with that design would have been some kind of insulating coating or some other kind of supercifial treatment, but that may have been skipped due to costs or not having the ability to process enough to meet the initial demand.

Deozaan:
Apple will also offer refunds to customers who have already bought the Bumper, Apple's only case for the iPhone 4. Those who have already bought third-party cases are not assured of a refund, though Jobs said those who did want their money back can write to Apple and "we'll consider the request."-http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-iphone4-free-bumpers-for-antenna-problem-signal-loss-issue-flaw-press-conference-news-consumer-reports-ratings.html
--- End quote ---

Emphasis added.

Josh:
I find it amusing how many people are attacking sites like consumer reports for still not recommending the phone. To me, it makes sense to not recommend the product unless the issue that caused them to not recommend it has been fixed. This issue has not been fixed. A workaround has been given.

It still leads me to wonder if the cases will be given with each new iPhone4 or if they will only be given if the user requests them. If the latter is the case, then that sounds wrong to me as many users will remain unaware and think their phone has an issue which could be avoided with a free addon from Apple.

The other part of the issue which urks me is the fact that this free offer expires. What about new phones purchased after 30 September? Will users of the affected phones be able to swap for a working model once, if, the issue is fixed in a future design? If not, then this issue will just reappear as news in September when the free offer expires.

This whole situation leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth for Apple.

Deozaan:
I find it amusing how many people are attacking sites like consumer reports for still not recommending the phone. To me, it makes sense to not recommend the product unless the issue that caused them to not recommend it has been fixed. This issue has not been fixed. A workaround has been given.-Josh (July 18, 2010, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

The "attacks" I've seen against Consumer Reports is that CR themselves have rated the iPhone 4 as the best smartphone out there, yet at the same time they also do not recommend getting it because of a major design flaw.

It seems wholly contradictory on Consumer Reports' part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version