ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to monitor a website for changes? (moving from WebMon to web-based service)

<< < (2/3) > >>

brotherS:
Yeah, an RSS feed would be perfect for this task...

If possible, I want to move to a web-based service so that I don't have to run yet another program locally.

Ampa:
How about a service like Page2RSS - monitors a webpage and creates an RSS feed to report changes.

daddydave:
Oh, I didn't think of this earlier, Google Reader has a fairly new feature that autogenerates RSS feeds for sites that don't have them. Try just putting in the URL for the web site where it is expecting an RSS URL if you use Google Reader. It works pretty well in my experience (hn.com for example). It also helps if there is a mobile version of the site to point it to.

tomos:
Oh, I didn't think of this earlier, Google Reader has a fairly new feature that autogenerates RSS feeds for sites that don't have them. Try just putting in the URL for the web site where it is expecting an RSS URL if you use Google Reader. It works pretty well in my experience (hn.com for example). It also helps if there is a mobile version of the site to point it to.
-daddydave (July 13, 2010, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for that tip :up:

brotherS:
Page2RSS looks nice, and I like the Google Reader feature, but how do I most easily turn that into an email in my inbox (telling me about an update on that site)?  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version