ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to monitor a website for changes? (moving from WebMon to web-based service)

(1/3) > >>

brotherS:
Hi,

in the past I used WebMon (http://www.markwell.btinternet.co.uk/webmon/) to monitor some websites/pages for news and updates. Now I'm looking for a free service that does that (almost) in real time - once a day is not enough - and sends me an email if there's an update. I'm willing to accept ads in that email, and I only need one page to be monitored.

Is there any such service that doesn't just report once a day? Thanks in advance!

Paul Keith:
Edit: Btw the below service doesn't provide send to e-mail support

I still haven't checked the firefox extension sitedelta but you could reduce the monitoring time in page monitor (for Google Chrome)

The downside is that it's probably not as intelligent as Webmon for dodging update changes to the most minute of things like date changes. This especially holds true if you are going to reduce the update checker to within minutes.

You may probably be better off looking for a page2rss -> rss2e-mail type of service but I have no personal experience with any of those.

skwire:
in the past I used WebMon (http://www.markwell.btinternet.co.uk/webmon/) to monitor some websites/pages for news and updates. Now I'm looking for a free service that does that (almost) in real time - once a day is not enough - and sends me an email if there's an update.-brotherS (July 13, 2010, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

According to the WebMon screenshot, you can set the update-check interval to as little as one minute.  Also, according to the feature list, you can "run other programs when updates are found."  That other program could be a command-line emailer such as Blat...so you could email yourself.  Make sense?

superboyac:
I don't know of any free software that does it.  But I'd highly recommend using website watcher, which can do pretty much anything.  It's pretty amazing.

daddydave:
Isn't this the problem for which RSS feeds were invented? I guess there's a few web sites still not on board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version