topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor excellent program - but . . .  (Read 7231 times)

fu2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Captor excellent program - but . . .
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Screenshot Captor is an excellent program - but the license key process is a bummer.  Why?  Not everyone is  or was ever dedicated to using PayPal, not everyone wants to pay by credit card and not everyone wants to mail a check or money order and give out personal info.  PayPal still owes me money that they wouldn't pay because I didn't draw every penny out of my account before I changed some personal details about my account.  I can't even use that money to make a donation to anyone unless I send them some personal information they now require that has nothing to do with my identity.  I was a long term PayPal user and did a lot of business with them before they became too picky and greedy.
   A software developer who nags too much and makes it too difficult to use FREEWARE increases the chances of losing users that might have donated.  Over the years, I've bought and donated for a lot of software that didn't nag.  Software that gets too greedy will be dropped for another of the many freeware programs available.  That's just the way it is.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor excellent program - but . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25 AM »
welcome to the site fu2, i appreciate your comments; i know i can get very frustrated when i am on websites and i am never as composed and nice as you when expressing my frustrations.

you don't have to donate, and you can still use the program, full features, without any nags.

just go to the license key page and grab a license key: https://www.donation...r.com/Keys/index.php
that license key will work for 6 months, after which you come get another, and then it's yours for life.

alternatively if you do decide you want to donate at some time in the future, you could just mail a letter with a stamp containing a dollar bill or a nice drawn picture, or whatever.  or even just email me explaining why you wish you could donate but can't.  those are all ways people can get a lifetime license key without donating.

we are a friendly site -- as annoying/confusing as the license key process can be -- it's in place not to punish people who can't/won't donate, it's there to make people consider donating, because in our current pocket of spacetime, people don't otherwise even give it a second thought.

feel free to email me ([email protected]) if you still have trouble getting a license key.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Not everyone is  or was ever dedicated to using PayPal, not everyone wants to pay by credit card and not everyone wants to mail a check or money order and give out personal info.

Er... outside of the three options that you've outlined above, what remains? I mean, if you're receptive to the idea of donating to a developer, how else would doing so be possible? With the donationcoder schema, you only have to renew the free license a couple of times over the course of a year before you get a permanent license. So, AFAICT, you are nagged to register for the forum, you do so, you get a license. You use the software nag-free for six months, are nagged to renew your (free) license, do so, use if for another six months, are nagged again, recieve a non-expiring, permanent license. I put more effort into flossing and brushing my teeth before going nighty-night.

It seems to me that your objection is to a developer having the temerity to ask for money, protestations aside.

Heh, heh - mouser responded while I was typing this...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Not everyone is  or was ever dedicated to using PayPal, not everyone wants to pay by credit card and not everyone wants to mail a check or money order and give out personal info.

Er... outside of the three options that you've outlined above, what remains? I mean, if you're receptive to the idea of donating to a developer, how else would doing so be possible?

Perhaps he could toddle over with a wheelbarrow load of $$$ notes?   

It seems to me that your objection is to a developer having the temerity to ask for money, protestations aside.

We've had that before  :(

clemo1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I don't know what the fuss is about. This is a very handy program, so pay the man and use his stuff to time indefinite.

An Aussie supporter.