topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Silver Lining - a fan made sequel to King's Quest  (Read 10365 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Silver Lining - a fan made sequel to King's Quest
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:19 AM »
if you were a fan of the old classic, King's Quest then you'd be happy to know that the 1st episode of The Silver Lining is now available! an ambitious fangame project, TSL encompasses five episodes in total with the rest of the episodes being released later.

almost 8 years in development, the devs (Phoenix Online Studios) also had to convince various copyright owners not to proceed with legal actions. the game promises to be faithful to original series while enhancing it with modern graphics.

to download and play the 1st episode, you will have to register at their website.

TSL_Episode_I.jpgThe Silver Lining - a fan made sequel to King's Quest
http://www.tsl-game.com/index.php

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Silver Lining - a fan made sequel to King's Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:34 PM »
I played one of the King's Quest games, but never managed to get more than 20 minutes into it. I couldn't ever figure out what to do, and I'd just get killed after wandering around long enough. Might have had something to do with my young age at the time though.

Not sure why I didn't like that King's Quest game since I loved the Space Quest games and played/beat all of them, though I think I had help with the first couple in the series (again, due to my young age).

EDIT: Whoops got distracted. Meant to also ask if someone completely new to the series would find this enjoyable since I have no idea who any of the characters are nor do I know any of the backstory.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:36 PM by Deozaan »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:42 PM »
EDIT: Whoops got distracted. Meant to also ask if someone completely new to the series would find this enjoyable since I have no idea who any of the characters are nor do I know any of the backstory.

actually, you can treat it like any other new games that you've just started to play. the lack of back story won't hamper the experience in any way but it will help if you're into the adventure genre. :)

furthermore according to their wikipedia article, this episode also "served as a "re-introduction" to the world of King's Quest".

The_Silver_Lining_(game)w

edit: added the wikipedia link
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:45 PM by lanux128 »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Episode 2 is now available..

http://www.tsl-game.com/episode_ii.php

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:30 AM »
That was fast.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:49 AM »
That was fast.

they have had 8 years of practice.. ;D

btw, just noticed that due to various bug-fixes and patches, the devs are including episode 1 in the downloads so you get ep.1+2 all patched up but downside is the size of the download which is now ~790mb (of which ~370mb is ep.1). the ep.2 only download will be available from next week. on the plus side, if you haven't got ep.1 yet, this is a good opportunity to get them both in one go. :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:49 PM »
I played one of the King's Quest games, but never managed to get more than 20 minutes into it. I couldn't ever figure out what to do, and I'd just get killed after wandering around long enough. Might have had something to do with my young age at the time though.
It's not without good reason that the (LucasArts) developers mocks Sierra (the makers of King's Quest) in the Monkey Island 2 "director's cut" commentary ;)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:59 PM »
It's not without good reason that the (LucasArts) developers mocks Sierra (the makers of King's Quest) in the Monkey Island 2 "director's cut" commentary ;)

Monkey Island games were/are fantastic. But as I said I also loved the Space Quest games, which were also made by Sierra.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:07 PM »
I kinda like Kings Quest myself, but never got too far; one of the big reasons the LucasArts developers mock Sierra, with good reason IMHO, is that you could do (or forget to do) some actions fairly easy in the game that would mean you'd get stuck at a much later point, possibly without knowing why. And you could die (imho a big no-no!) and it was easy and sometimes relatively arbitrary.
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12 PM »
I don't think Space Quest allowed you to get past a certain point without something you needed. Then again, I suppose it is possible.

But yeah, I do remember dying. A lot! There was one particular spot near the beginning of SQ2 where you'd have to navigate between the tentacles of a human-eating-plant. I died so many times doing that--and without remembering to save so I'd have to start from the very beginning--that I finally got through it by taking about two steps, saving, two more steps, save again, etc.