topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can anyone explain this web service part 2 (Hosting service)  (Read 3929 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.standingcloud.com/

Again, I didn't register but this looks really really interesting if what it says on the tin is true.

That said, I don't really understand how domain hosting works and it looks like this needs something like an Amazon S3 service to work.

The No IT skills needed seems tempting though.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can anyone explain this web service part 2 (Hosting service)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:45 PM »
just quickly reading over the site, I gathered that you build an application, and then upload it to their site, and they host it on their site so that other people can try it out... there is probably more to it than that, but that is just what I got from it after reading over the site for about minute or two
[Insert really cool signature here]

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:47 AM »
Where does the no IT skills required come from?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35 AM »
The way I read it, it is for anyone who wants to deploy an open source product but doesn't want to setup and configure everything.  Basically the no IT required means no IT "Infrastructure" required.  That said, if you wanted to set up a CRM for your class alumni blog, for example, there is no "setup" and you just start using it.  The deploying a software package part requires you to have IT programming experience, of course, but you don't need to worry about setting up a server to deploy it onto for others to use, you just use theirs (of course I can't imagine how they could do so without you setting it up to know what kind of environment they need to prepare for it, but that is what it appears to be saying).

I am guessing it is targeting people who want to setup common CRM types of servers, Wiki's, websites, and similar services but don't know how or are unable to access a full-time server for some reason.  You still must provide the content, but that doesn't necessarily require programming or indeed any IT experience.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:28 PM »
It looks basically like a hosted version of Bitnami Stacks, or a free-standing version of Fantastico. It allows you to setup common web-based open source apps with a click of a button, setting up both the server environment and the app itself in a streamlined way. That being said there is still of course all the config of the app that is needed to customize it to one's needs.

- Oshyan

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Ok, thanks for the clarification guys.