ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

Finished Coding Snack: Organize Text

<< < (5/8) > >>

sword:
1. Create shortcuts to your files.
2. Place the shortcuts on your desktop and open them.
3. Open the file that you want to process and drag selections to the opened files.

vinayakjoshi:
I think you should use Clipmate (http://www.thornsoft.com/). The PowerPaste feature can help you quickly paste a series of clips, or break apart complex data by comma, linebreak, etc.

You can copy everything in one go; explode using linebreak; and then do powerpaste in the files that you want.

Regards
Vinayak
http://www.learningconcepts.in/

Jabberwock:
Could it be a Microsoft Word macro?

The simplest way I can see is to open a document and then a selection of other documents to paste into. A macro would cut selected text and ask for user input (? in Word status bar). The user would input the filename, e.g. "1" and the text gets sent to the open "1.doc" (or "1.txt") document.

Advantages:
1. You stay in Word which might be useful for other word processing tasks you need to do with the text.
2. You have direct preview of all appended files, so you might clean them up immediately.
3. If the document names are short and easy to handle, no need to remember the shortcuts - log entries go into "Log", comments into "Comments" etc.
4. It should be simple - short code, no need for an external app to be running, etc.

Disadvantages:
1. You need Word (duh).
2. The document names may be either informative/usable etc. or easy to enter. I mean if you choose file names "1.txt", "2.txt" (for easy input) you have to rename them later anyway.

Edit: Could you describe the "automated" part of the request in more detail? What would be the criteria for parsing which you mention later (first you write about cutting etc.)?

ebs:
kalos,

I have a need for a program like this from time to time. I've been too lazy to write one, but your request made me finally go ahead and do it.
How about this?

It's pretty simple to use:
1. Open your input file and each line is displayed in the top list.

2. Specify your output filenames in the bottom list. You can have up to 36 output files, corresponding to tags "0" to "9" and "A" to "Z".
    Files (and the necessary folders) are created if they don't exist. You can choose to overwrite or append to existing files.

3. Tag each line of the input file for the desired output file by pressing the appropriate key.
    The highlight automatically moves down the list as each line is tagged. You can use the Shift or Ctrl key to tag multiple lines.
    If you enter an incorrect tag, just select the line (or lines) and enter the new tag.

4. When you're done tagging input lines, click the "Write Files" button and your tagged lines will be written to the specified output files.

I've got the basic application written, but I want to add the ability to save output filenames,
so they don't have to be re-entered (if you use the same files each time).

If this would be useful, I would be glad to contribute it when I'm done - let me know.

cmpm:
Something like this possibly?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnguin/archive/2009/08/24/a-beta-powertoy-for-onenote-2007-to-extract-highlighted-text-from-a-page.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

I was looking for a way to add the "send to" command to the right click context menu after highlighting text. This is all that came close so far. To 'send to' a text file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version