ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

Finished Coding Snack: Organize Text

<< < (4/8) > >>

kartal:
That is totally a Vim`s arena :)

skwire:
To all the folks suggesting clipboard managers, I think you're missing the point of kalos' request.  He doesn't want to MANUALLY cut/copy and paste, he wants something to automatically parse through a source text file and allow him to quickly send each line to a, potentially, different target file. 

For the sake of easier coding, let's assume a maximum of thirty targets, okay?  That way, each target can have a button as well as a hotkey:

1-10: Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2, Ctrl-3...
11-20: Ctrl-Shift-1, Ctrl-Shift-2, Ctrl-Shift-3...
21-30: Ctrl-Alt-1, Ctrl-Alt-2, Ctrl-Alt-3...
...or whichever combos you want.

Would this be acceptable?  Also, you didn't answer my question about GUI design.  What did you have in mind?  Did you want to see the whole source text file?  Or just sentence by sentence as it parses through it?  Or, did you want to leave it entirely up to me?

kalos:
For a clipboard manager
try global clipboard
http://www.techishare.com/blog/softwares/giveaway-of-powerful-global-clipboard-manager/

TenClips
http://users.skynet.be/hofinger/TenClips.html

read this also
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/move-or-copy-text-and-graphics-HP005186111.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/copy-and-paste-multiple-items-by-using-the-office-clipboard-HA010163602.aspx

-ha14 (July 11, 2010, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think any of these can do what I want

That is totally a Vim`s arena :)
-kartal (July 11, 2010, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I 've heard so many good things about vim and similar unix text editors, but have not any experience

how easy can this be done with vim?

kalos:
To all the folks suggesting clipboard managers, I think you're missing the point of kalos' request.  He doesn't want to MANUALLY cut/copy and paste, he wants something to automatically parse through a source text file and allow him to quickly send each line to a, potentially, different target file. 
-skwire (July 11, 2010, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

exactly

For the sake of easier coding, let's assume a maximum of thirty targets, okay?  That way, each target can have a button as well as a hotkey:

1-10: Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2, Ctrl-3...
11-20: Ctrl-Shift-1, Ctrl-Shift-2, Ctrl-Shift-3...
21-30: Ctrl-Alt-1, Ctrl-Alt-2, Ctrl-Alt-3...
...or whichever combos you want.

Would this be acceptable?  Also, you didn't answer my question about GUI design.  What did you have in mind?  Did you want to see the whole source text file?  Or just sentence by sentence as it parses through it?  Or, did you want to leave it entirely up to me?
-skwire (July 11, 2010, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, it would be acceptable, but simple letters would be nice too, where each of the letter is the initial of the target filename, anyway, that doesn't matter much

as for GUI, seeing sentence by sentence would be easier for the eyes, which won't be distracted by the above and below sentence, so it may be preferable

in case of seeing the whole source text file, there must be some way to see which sentence is about to be send to the target text file, maybe by highlighting it

JavaJones:
I don't need something like this at this exact moment, so my comments are more predictive for what I think I might want at some point. But this does seem like a useful feature, so I'll contribute my thoughts. Obviously Kalos' needs take precedence.

I think it makes most sense to take the step of making this a bit more versatile and allow it to operate not just on a single line but a selection. So I'd say show a window of the text file, but not necessarily the whole thing at once, allow for automatic single-line selection perhaps, but also click-drag selection and/or hold-shift-and-select-with-arrow-keys. The selection should be very clearly highlighted of course, maybe in yellow. But again I think the critical thing is not intentionally limiting it to a single line as that severely narrows the use of the tool in a way that I think is unnecessary to maintain the original utility needed. Clear highlighting should be enough.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version