ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PC Monitoring - Need Help

<< < (2/3) > >>

Gwen7:
@arshabdh:

rather rude response don't you think?

best brush up on what constitues proper forum ettiquet. comments like your second one won't win friends or make people inclined to offer their assistence if you make a habit of behaving like that towards someone who was trying to help.   

Uncle Larry:
Hello Gwen7:

I rather disagree with this < "rather rude response don't you think? ">.  In fact, I believe arshadbh showed remarkable restraint.  His or her original post was clear, and was a request for something specific.  The initial response from 40hz was (IMHO) rather rude.  If you asked a mechanic friend of yours how to fix a concern with your vehicle, which happened to be a pick-up truck, and instead of assistance you received a lengthly lecture on saving the planet and gas guzzling and such, would you maybe think the response was presumptuous and rude?

Speaking as a father here -- when my middle son was 15 (he's now 24 and a firefighter) I found out he was planning on sneaking out with his buddies by logging his chat activity with NetNanny.  I was able to intervene and keep him home.  That night, two of his friends broke into a high school and stole computer equipment and one was later apprehended.  Brad was completely pissed at the time, hated my guts and all that.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  We have a great relationship now.  The 2 buddies are no longer friends of his, one is a stoner who lives at home with his parents and the other has significant criminal record. 

As a kid in the 70's I personally dabbled in things which could have killed me - these days its not pot and acid and free love, its meth and crack, HIV and herpes and simply dabbling can result in catastrophic outcomes.  I'm only saying any parent doing his or her best to keep their child from making a permanent mistake has my sympathy and understanding.  I'm not comfortable shooting off glib and rather patronizing commentary.  This is not a Disney movie here - it is life, and death.

Just my 2 ยข

tomos:
I have a tendency to see both sides of a coin (can be a PIA at times and of course the ability deserts me when I'm personally involved)

I actually thought both posts were fair enough -
~ OP
~ 40hz gives his opinion, and warns in the note at the end against something the first poster might not have considered
~ arshadbh says no thanks to the opinion, and requests - a bit loudly - only help with the software (& either misses or ignores 40hz's note)

I do have an opinion as well btw but I think now is not the time or the place...

daddydave:
While I agree in a general way with 40hz's advice and don't think either arshadbh or 40hz was rude in the least, every parenting situation is different and I think arshadbh has to be given the benefit of a doubt.

From 40hz's response, I assume he is a parent. If not, I have another rant. ;)

Stoic Joker:
Given the fast and loose nature of the english language... Just because you view/read/hear a conversation doesn't mean you'll have a clue as to it actual context. I proved this back when I was 16 and my dad tried sneaking a tape recorder on the home phone line. It did him no good - I knew it was there - My friends knew the meanings he missed.

Being a parent, I agree with 40Hz on all levels. You can't know what your child is up to, without knowing your child. Electronic boundries (/keepers) only setup the rules for when/where the games begin after trust is lost.

I've had much the same conversation with clients on several occasions. Some went for the monitoring applications after, some did not. Ultimately, it seldom took long for the kid to get around it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version