topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best password manager?  (Read 122882 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best password manager?
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2009, 12:54 AM »
It is actually very nice application(when it works). It crashes alot and not very stable. The reason I use it is that I have converted my database from 1 and stayed with it. I do  daily backups so I am not worried about loosing info. I just hope that the bugs will be ironed out.

Keepass 2 beta is piece of s...t at the moment. It is the buggiest application I ever used, at least on my xp 64bit system.

I have Roboform and Keepass and a variety of vaults, but Lastpass seems really interesting to me as an Opera/Chrome in preference to FF/ie user.

Latest version is working better than ever here on my XP Pro X86 machine. Previous versions were pretty bad here too. Deleting or even editing an entry would then throw you to a random item in the database. However I only use Keepass as kind of a backup repository of all my password-related items. Using it to actually login to a web site is not simple to do.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2009, 01:05 AM »
Though I own four licenses for Roboform, 2 Pro, 1 PPC, and 1 Robo2Go Flash Drive, it started failing badly on Firefox for the last couple months. The RF toolbar would continually close and re-open, each time showing a different passcard different than the web site I was visiting. All were cards in my database but it was like RF couldn't decide which to use. I wrote their support several times and got no good answers from them. Their support was really good way back when I first purchased RF, in 2003 I think. But it has gone downhill as they have grown. Most do, I guess.

So I decided to try others to see how they worked. I used Sxipper for a few weeks - not entirely bad but not that great either. At least it wasn't acting crazy like RF was. More recently I have been using LastPass, and I immediately decided that I would stick with it. It is equal to Roboform in all the features that match up with RF, and it performs some things that RF does not. For example, RoboForm cannot accurately handle frames containing data from a different site than the main page. One case in point is on my Gmail page I have a Twitter gadget that requires me to login to Twitter. RoboForm had asked if I wanted to save the Twitter login info and I did so, worried that RF wouldn't know what to do with it. I was right. Sometimes it filled the Gmail login with Twitter data; other times it filled the Gmail data correctly; on occasion it filled the Twitter gadget with my Gmail login. But it never once filled the Twitter gadget with my Twitter login data. LastPass, on the other hand, fills both correctly every time. It knows much better what to fill where on pages with multiple logins.

I'll keep it for now!

Jim

Robmonster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2009, 05:18 AM »
My first was PINs for many years.

Then moved to KeePass briefly.

Finally settled on RoboForm and then RoboForm2Go: now I can't live without them  :-*  :-*. Have it based at home and sync'd onto my USB stick for work.

RoboForm is hard to beat, it just does everything with a great deal of ease. Definitely worth the money!

I also use Roboform, and use the free version of Allway Sync 2 Go to sync my password files between my Roboform 2 Go and my home PC via Amazon S3 storage. It's fabulous.

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I've been using LastPass for 5 months now.  One of its virtues:  it synchronizes among my three computers in different locations.  I have found it completely reliable.  But I must admit, i dont' keep my most sensitive passwords there.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I replaced Roboform (which I bought 2 licenses for) with Lastpass on all my pc's. It easily imported all my Roboform data and works just as well. The synchronization and being free are 2 big reasons I recommend it over Roboform now.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Just to note - Roboform have released an alpha build of Chromium that incorporates Roboform and it works really well...

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Doesn't now Roboform has an online manager as well? Even Opera works with it ;D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Best password manager is your brain. Don't leave it to an app. You might end up being left when you completely forgot your passwords yourself.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Best password manager is your brain. Don't leave it to an app. You might end up being left when you completely forgot your passwords yourself.

the only password I'm sure of is the one that gets me into roboform :-\
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2009, 03:11 PM »
So you won't be able to log in anywhere on another computer?

redstarnyc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I am a big lastpass fan.  Nothing beats free and web-synced.

If their propaganda is true nothing is stored on their servers.
RedstarNYC

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Except the databases, obviously. Web-sync without storing something in the web is ridiculous.