ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Fallacy of One Thing Leading to Another

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
[...]
Unless... maybe all those violent games or simulations do not so much represent killing people but more a form of non-consent assisted euthanasia.
-Deozaan (July 11, 2010, 05:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

maybe that's it ;) :D

Paul Keith:
most rape games or other simulations do not so much represent rape but more of a form of non-consent fantasy.-Paul Keith (July 10, 2010, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't try to make it sound less like rape. Rape is rape.

Unless... maybe all those violent games or simulations do not so much represent killing people but more a form of non-consent assisted euthanasia.
-Deozaan (July 11, 2010, 05:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not.

Let's apply your words to videogame violence for example:

Don't try to make it sound less like killing. Killing is killing.

--- End quote ---

This assumes the fantasy of videogame killing is non-consent assisted euthanasia.

However, this is where the two criterias if you dig deep enough differ...and where videogame violence seems even worse.

Videogame violence from the fantastic view isn't non-consent assisted euthanasia - if it were it would be more morally kind to the digital characters.

Instead videogame violence's appeal is instead killing with less or no consequences. Worse, this illusion becomes more promoted as violent videogames expands and improves in graphics. This is what mainly contributes to the idea that it can desensitize a person with problems.

Not that crappy rape games don't have that problem but as you elevate the two digital actions - rape encourages realistic emotional depth, violence encourages realistic physics.

Physics is much more desensitizing and impactful as far as desensitizing a person because the more you press forward with physics, the more it seems like reality minus consequences. The more you press with emotional character depth, the more it's about the humanity of the victim vs. the abuser.

Even a crappy game as the game mentioned there, you could almost contrast it with Custer's. One was so stupid that it's not even much of a rape game, the other despite it's crappiness in it's pursuit of graphics, ended up producing tears in the victim which in turn is the difference between the two genres.

That said, as I mentioned under that link, it's not about saying one is worse than the other.

It's merely to clarify the situation and there's no watering down of concepts if you may. It's simply clarification so that either side is at least more informed and we do not fall into a sort of technological hypocrisy where we make excuses for one and demonize the other unfairly.

That's said with regards to such post:

No Paul,
I dont have to accept anyone's 'terms' here. I simply say this stuff [rape game] is unacceptable.
--- End quote ---

It can't be helped which is why it's a wicked problem - and it's a problem on all sides.

It's much easier to defend what you're biased against so things like this need to be clarified for those who are willing to listen to some form of objective validity. (Although I'm not saying my words are correct or I'm an expert but rather as with all things I post here - I try to provide the rarely mentioned or emotionally mentioned reasons in a more neutral but still biased manner.)

Edit: Btw I'm not saying violent videogames don't have any justification for violence. Rather I'm pointing out that after the justification there are very few games that fully explore the consequences of their actions. (Even open-ended rpgs) Again, not saying rape games fully explore the consequences but part of the process is about experiencing the actual act in more detailed perspective than merely pulling an action - like the trigger of a gun - and have someone later on provide a cutscene . (Often these Japanese games are about downfall relating to or resulting to rape so there's already that character study of a person's degraded thoughts.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version