ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

App Culture vs. Free Culture

<< < (6/8) > >>

Eóin:
I don't really see any problems with App Stores as yet another source of software.

If they were exclusive sources then yes, that'd be a big issue but that will never happen on the PC or the Mac. I'd even go so far as to suggest it will un-happen on the iPhone/Pad soon enough when the trade regulators in EU and possibly US do proper investigations.

Stoic Joker:
This is one of those topics I try to stay out of, due to my tendency to reflexively attack any/everything Apple. However...

I would like to make note that I whole heartedly agree with Renegade, Mouser, & App103's last posts as they outline a clear and pragmatic picture of what is (and is about to) go horribly wrong if this "Business Model" starts to catch on.

mouser:
Related article:
http://infoworld.com/d/developer-world/10-ways-curated-app-stores-undermine-developers-559

Developers are rightly troubled by the often draconian-seeming policies at Apple's iPhone App Store. But according to analysts at Forrester Research, Apple's model represents more than just an overweening SDK license agreement. It's an entirely new relationship between software vendors and consumers, one that Forrester has dubbed "curated computing."
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
Don't forget that despite not coding one line in your app, Apple willingly takes 30% of your profit off the top. That's effing greedy, folks!-zridling (July 06, 2010, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
As does Google if you sale in their market, and I believe Microsoft said their mobile store would be the same or similar.  Is 30% that bad when you consider it means you don't have to set up a store, actually handle credit card fees, or pay for the bandwidth? I'm seriously asking as it doesn't seem that bad to me.

I dislike Apple's policies and the corporate attitude they project, but I'm not sure I see this 70-30 split being so outrageous.

Now the fact that a developer interested in selling an iOS app to non-jailbreaking users has no other choice but to accept Apple's 70-30 deal is absolutely maddening.
-TheQwerty (July 07, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget there are 2 other issues involved:

1. You can't try before you buy, so there is a risk involved with buying crap and not being able to get your money back.
-app103 (July 09, 2010, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

The best companies provide a free 'trial' version or one supported by apps, and a paid version that either gives more features or removes the ads, so there is some leeway here, even if it's just the developers getting around the problem.

rxantos:
The article forgot:

- The cheating factor. Apple restricts the use of some of its API only to  Apple. If your application uses those parts of their API, its not accepted. Unless you are google. :)

Capitalism only works where there is no party controlling the market. So concentrating too much decision power on a company that might also be your competitor is always a bad idea. Is like having the bad parts of Comunism (one party decides what goes on), without having any of the good parts.

BTW: Whats up with EVERY web site REQUIRING to register to post comments. I guess that freedom of speech is not a popular this days. (without the option of anonimity without need to lie, freedom of speech cannot exist).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version